> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, blusc0ut <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > I only counter the notion here, that Japa during activity
> > divides the mind. So I gave examples, puja, you said flying
> > itself, bliss-technique, childrens technique, to show that
> > this is not necessarily true. There are actually more examples
> > from the TM movement.
>
> Not to mention that as far as I could tell, no one
> suggested "japa" (the repetition of mantras) as an
> example of doing something concurrently with activity
> anyway.

<snicker> blusc0ut suggested exactly that in his
response to your post.

> It's possible that someone else brought japa
> up,

Nope, it was blusc0ut, in his response to your post,
which you appear not to have read.

> because after all we're dealing with a group that
> finds it impossible to conceive of any meditation
> practice that *doesn't* involve mantras.

You are? You're real sure of that, are you?

 But I never
> suggested such a thing, and don't practice it.

Nobody said you did. Hard as it may be for you to
accept, this discussion wasn't *about* you. We'd
moved on.

<snip>
> I can certainly see how some who basically refuse to
> perform such self-analysis would consider this "divid-
> ing the mind."

We weren't talking about mindfulness at all. I was
talking about "dividing the mind" with regard to TM,
and TM only.

None of this exchange between blusc0ut and me was about
you, or anything you said. If you'd read the posts you
comment on, you wouldn't go on for paragraph after
paragraph making yourself look REEEEELY STOOOPID
by insulting people for things that exist only in your
own imagination.

<snip>
> Far more productive, in my opinion, is to perform a little
> simple self-analysis, more along the lines of, "Oh. That
> driver made a right turn from the left lane and almost
> hit me. I can feel a surge of anger attempting to arise.
> Do I have to allow it to? No, I don't. Instead of lean-
> ing out of my window, shaking my fist at him and shout-
> ing insults at him, I can simply DROP IT completely
> and get back to enjoying my day." Then I DROP IT and
> get back to enjoying my day. The next time this happens,
> I don't even have to go through these thought processes;
> the impulse to become angry arises, I recognize it early,
> and I DROP IT.
>
> That in my opinion is FAR from "dividing the mind." It's
> more along the lines of "using the mind" and one's will,
> as opposed to not engaging the mind at all and falling
> prey to one's first impulses.

You forgot to add, "Except when one's impulse is to insult
people one doesn't like on FFL. Then it's fine. I do it
all the time."