--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Flatley" <untilbeyond@...> wrote:

> Thank you, Turk.
>
> To be always questioning everything, to be starved for
> substantive information, can become tiresome.

Not quite as tiresome as being demonized for question-
ing itself, but I get your point.  :-)

> The allure of a system that presented a world of answers...

"Pat" answers. Answers presented as if they were Truth
Incarnate, and never to be questioned, on peril of
being excommunicated.

> ...is what made me vulnerable.  Answers are like a drug.

Exactly. My point is that many here are WAY strung
out on the "pat answers" they've been parroting for
decades, and at this point cannot live without them.
They react to those who suggest that the "pat answers"
ARE drugs exactly the same way that junkies react to
those might suggest that their neighborhood dealers
are not nice guys who are merely filling a societal
need.  :-)

> And drugs can be extremely helpful in moderation. The
> risk is getting addicted, right?

Exactly. "Pat answers" are fine *in their place*, and
recognized as the temporary learning aids they are.
Few would argue that the simplistic pat answers they
were given in kindergarten or grade school presented
the whole story, or were all that they ever need to
learn about a given subject. But you have people doing
that here with regard to the simplistic pat answers
given to them by Maharishi.

> In shamanic cultures, they had no tolerance for self-
> importance. The value of a tyrant is in their ability to
> illustrate and magnify self-importance. Tyrants facilitate
> awareness.
>
> In The Fire Within, Castenada did a great job of explaining
> how vital it was to locate a petty tyrant, to practice being
> senior... his teachers made it clear that if we can't overcome
> a human tyrant in this realm, then we will be ill-prepared for
> dealing with more signifigant predators on the other side.

Ahem. While I agree that Carlos Castaneda wrote well
and compellingly about many things, I met the dude and
I've spent some time with folks who studied with him
closely for years. Suffice it to say that he rarely
walked his own talk. Much of what he wrote was creative
fiction, and had nothing to do with the cultures he
attributed it to, modern or ancient. That said, there
is still much to be learned from his writings IMO.

> ... I noticed that most of y'all are beyond the righteous
> indignation, and have a playful attitude about the foolishness
> we bought into for as long as we did. We sucked hard and long
> and pretended to love it. I do see the humor now.

As much as I poke and prod at the exceptions on this
forum -- those who cannot get past regarding the pat
answers they were given as The Answers -- I agree with
you, Michael. One of the reasons I like this place is
that many seem to have developed a sense of humor about
the stuff we went through, and *our own part in it*.

No one could have really *forced* us to believe in the
guff we believed in for decades and submit to many of
the indignities of "life in the TMO." We did so willingly,
because we had come to believe "the end justifies the
means," and had stopped analyzing the means themselves,
and what they *said* about us, and our values. Now,
belatedly, many are beginning to question our decades
of non-questioning and obeisance.

I think that's a healthy process, and applaud it. Some
on this forum use every opportunity presented to them
to put it down and demonize it. Go figure.