--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@...> wrote:

> > But that's just an analogy. You didn't even get to *real*
> > transcendence, so how can you make it permanent? There is
> > no way you can *do* anything about it. This would be like
> > aiming an arrow at a goal, you don't even know where it is.
> > You can only do things that purify the mind, that's all.
>
> Right. How is that different from what I said?
>
> > There is nothing you can stabilize
>
> Right. The stabilization *happens*, spontaneously, as
> the mind becomes "purer."

That's not what I said. What I said is that there is no transcendence that gets
stabilized in the first place. You may purify your mind, but there is nothing
to get stabilized.

So, IOW I don't believe in the 2-step model. If true transcendence is not
achieved, it cannot be stabilized. If true transcendence is achieved, it will
blur the divison between inside and outside by itself immediately.

I think what the model of the two steps, rest and activity makes so luring, is
the simple natural pattern of, well rest and activity. You feel rested after
meditation, and therefore you feel better, more happy, but it is simply the
effect of being rested. It doesn't bring you enlightenment. You don't get more
enlightened after having rested well.

Maharishi himself had said, that with bringing TM he wanted to but a candle of
light in a place of darkness. So, doing some japa, getting relaxed, is just a
good start, but doing 2x20 is just not going to get you enlightened, nor is
2x40. Maharishi virtually invented all those examples, 2 steps of progress,
dyeing the cloth etc, to keep people going, to give them a perspective. Point
me to any vedic scripture for the two steps of progress, where is it written
about in the Gita or the Vedas, or the Tantras? I know about Karma Yoga, I know
about Jnana and Bhakti Yoga, yes, but there is virtually a completly different
philosophy behind it.