--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@...> wrote:

> Dyeing the cloth comes from Shankara.

Yes? Where exactly and in which context? I read a lot of Shankara but never
encountered it. He said that no mantra can make you free.

> And the drawing back the bow metaphor isn't MMY's either as far as I know.
> Also, it seems obvious that "established in Being, perform action" can be
> seen as an admonishment to meditate first, then be active.

Can be seen, as you cautiously say. In fact it is Yogastah kuru karmani,
established in Yoga act, but what is meant with established in yoga is not
defined in the Gita as meditation. For example the yoga in yogastah could
refere to karma yoga, which is defined as desinterested action, and offering
the fruit of all action to god. Ironically this is not even mentioned in TM
philosophy, it would be labelled as mood making.

> There's also "meditate and chop wood...."

Carry water, not meditate. carry water and chop wood.

That's Zen, but they are basically saying, go on with your life, do whatever
needs to be done, its not a two step model. There is also the saying, before
enlightenment, carry water and chop wood, after enlightenment carry water and
chop wood. It doesn't say meditate and chop wood,

But it is cute, how you interpret everything to seemingly support the TM model,
even though it is clear that there is no reference here at all.