> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Judy Stein explains that the best way for parents to teach their
> > children the evils of bigotry is to participate in the bigotry
> > yourself which will provide your children with an example of how
> > bad it is.
>
> And Shemp accuses *me* of spinning...
>
> <snip>
> > > As you know, Shemp, we've been over this already.
> > > There weren't any restaurants that served both
> > > blacks and whites; they had no choice.  Gore's
> > > parents used this situation as the basis for
> > > lectures to their children on the evils of
> > > segregation.
>
> When you and your kids are stuck in a bigoted
> environment, you can pretend it's all fine and
> dandy, or you can use it as a lesson on the evils
> of bigotry.  The Gores chose the latter course,
> to their credit.

Al Gore, Senior: "Now, son," (chomp chomp on a ham sandwich), it is
just plain wrong for us to be here amongst the white folks --
Junior, would you pass the mayonaisse, please -- when the colored's
aren't allowed in here.  Of course, I want you to notice this evil --
 say, these grits sure are tasty -- because one day we won't have to
put up with this horrible situation.  Oh, waitress, could I have a
serving of that delicious Pecan Pie that I always have when I'm
here?"

Al Gore, Junior: "But, Dad, if segregation is so wrong, why are we
patronizing this establishment?  Shouldn't we show our disfavor by
NOT eating here?  We could have packed our meals for the drive to
Washington and we could have eaten with our nanny."

Al Gore, Senior: "Son, you are asking for a sacrifice that I am
simply not willing to make.  The horror, the horror.  Eat with a
colored?  Please.  Eat outside with the common man?  Pack a lunch?
What type of torture do you expect me to put myself through?"