--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, akasha_108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
> While a few articles does not make me an Al Gore Sr. scholar, and I
> am open to more information, the above record appears tobe clearly
> not of one whe was a "life-long segragationist". But rather of a
> pragmatist who appears to have supported most civil rights
> legislation, which took a bit of courage while representing a jim
> crow south in transition, and took a stand against one bill (a big
> one albeit) on the convicion that it was not practical, not because
> he opposed the goal, a decision he later came to deeply regret.

That's a good summary.  And it's the standard view
of Gore, has been all along--until the right wing
decided they were going to smear him as a
segregationist as a way of attacking his son when
he was running for president.

By that time, many voters were too young to know
who Al Gore Sr. was and be familiar with his
record, and Gore himself had just conveniently
died and couldn't defend himself.  So it was
relatively easy for the right to get away with the
slander.

The folks who started this revisionist history of
Gore knew very well what the truth was, of course.
Many in their audience, however, had no idea they
were being lied to.  Many still don't.

The whole idea of Gore as a segregationist is
as ludicrous as it would be to say Bella Abzug
didn't support women's rights.  If you don't know
who Bella Abzug was, though, why should you
question it?

It's just unspeakably vile.  And it is *typical* of
the way the right wing operates these days.  This
is just one of many, many similar horror stories.