Here is the final report from the county attorney:

March 28, 2011
Final Report Regarding the Assault reported During the Early Morning Hours of
March 6, 2011
During the weekend of March 5 and 6, 2011 Fairfield resident, Usama Alshaibi,
sustained some injury
following a night out with a friend. Shortly thereafter he posted a blog online
that discussed his ordeal and
described it as a hate crime. This report will detail the investigation and its
findings. It will also discuss the
conclusions reached by this office based on that information.
The Fairfield Police Department, with the help of the Iowa Department of
Criminal Investigations,
conducted a thorough investigation that began at 12:19 a.m. on March 6, 2011.
The investigation involved the
interviews and discussions with dozens of people. This office has reviewed over
20 written statements and
watched a dozen recorded interviews. We have also reviewed photographs and
medical records and have had
countless discussions with the primary investigators. Based on all of this we
can piece together the following
timeline of events:
On Saturday, March 5, 2011, Usama Alshaibi and his friend Manuel Tsingaris went
out to a restaurant
and bar called Vivo’s. They arrived between 8:30 and 9:00 p.m. and sat in the
bar area. They consumed some
alcoholic beverages and enjoyed themselves. Mr. Alshaibi was quite forthcoming
about how much he had to
drink and that it definitely had an effect on him. Sometime between 11:00 and
11:30 p.m. a different group of
people, including Canaan Rice and Jason Byers, entered the bar and sat down.
Shortly thereafter Mr. Byers
observed another friend enter the bar and he called out to him. Mr. Alshaibi
looked at Mr. Byers and shouted
obscenities at him. Although nothing else occurred at the bar the patrons said
that Mr. Alshaibi appeared
impaired and was acting in a way that could be problematic.
At approximately midnight Mr. Alshaibi and Mr. Tsingaris left Vivo’s and began
walking home. They
walked west on West Broadway on a sidewalk across an abandoned railroad spur to
either 8th or 9th Street.
They turned north and at either Broadway or Briggs they separated. Mr. Alshaibi
lives at 1104 West Briggs so
he was only a few blocks from home. Mr. Tsingaris continued walking north
towards his home and assumed
his friend was walking the remaining few blocks home.
Mr. Alshaibi claims to have heard music as he was walking towards his house. As
he approached this
music he claims to have met a young woman who told him that the party was
upstairs. Although the officers
were unable to canvas this area immediately they did check the neighborhood
within the hour after the assault
report was received. The police were unable to locate any noticeable music in
that area. Throughout the
investigation the police were unable to verify or identify the young woman. As
a result we cannot say with any
certainty whether there was any music or whether there was any young woman.
OFFICES OF
JEFFERSON COUNTY ATTORNEY
117 WEST BROADWAY
FAIRFIELD, IOWA 52556‐3217
PHONE (641) 472‐9201
FAX (641) 472‐9202
email address: jeffcoa...@lisco.com
JEFFERSON COUNTY ATTORNEY
TIMOTHY W. DILLE
Direct email address: t...@lisco.com
ASSISTANT JEFFERSON COUNTY ATTORNEY
PATRICK J. McAVAN
Direct email address: p...@lisco.com
What is clear is that Mr. Alshaibi actually got himself turned around and wound
up walking in the
opposite direction of his home. Sometime around 12:15 a.m. he entered a home
located at 50 South 5th Street.
This home is a block and half east of Vivo’s and would have required Mr.
Alshaibi to backtrack past Vivo’s to
get there within the timeline. This house is the residence of Joshua Bishop and
his teenage son Gabe.
Joshua Bishop was asleep on the couch in the living room while Gabe was
upstairs in his room with four
other friends. The others were Samantha Fischer, Brian Jennings, Heath Nevins,
and Blaze Strickland. Nevins
is 20 years old and all the others were under 18. They report that they had
just finished watching a movie when
they heard footsteps on the stairs. They assumed that they had awakened Joshua
and they were going to be in
trouble. However, the footsteps stopped just outside of the closed door. The
kids reported seeing a shadow
under the door and they knew someone was standing outside of the door.
Investigators confirmed that the
lighting in the hall would allow a shadow to be seen under the door.
The door was opened a crack, either by Gabe or by Mr. Alshaibi. It is clear
that there was a brief
exchange between Mr. Alshaibi and Gabe where they said hi to each other and Mr.
Alshaibi indicated that he
had returned to the area from Chicago. The door was opened a little further and
Mr. Alshaibi was able to look
into the room and the other kids were able to see him. Gabe finally told him
goodbye in an attempt to get him
to leave. Mr. Alshaibi backed out of the room and Gabe shut the door.
Ms. Fischer has a graduated driver’s license which prohibits her from driving
after 12:30 a.m. As a
result she needed to leave and drive home. The kids heard footsteps back
downstairs but did not hear the door
so they went downstairs to see what was going on. Everyone admits it was dark
downstairs as the front door
opens into the living room where Joshua Bishop was sleeping. The kids found Mr.
Alshaibi just standing in the
living room. He began speaking with Ms. Fischer and asked her what she was
doing later that night. The kids,
especially the two girls, reported that this type of question was creepy and
made them uncomfortable. The kids
also reported that Mr. Alshaibi never took his right hand out of his coat
pocket which made them a little
nervous. This office also believes that the content of the movie the kids had
just completed added to their
concern about this person in the house. They had just watched The Strangers
which is a horror/suspense movie
about a young couple who are terrorized by three home invaders. When Mr.
Alshaibi still did not leave Mr.
Jennings grabbed Mr. Alshaibi by the lapel and pinned him against the door
frame as Jennings tried to open the
door. Once the door was open Jennings spun Alshaibi around and forcefully
shoved him out the door. It
appears that Jennings used his hands and a foot to force Alshaibi out the door.
The kids report that when Mr. Alshaibi was thrown out he fell and landed face
first. As he tried to
regain his feet he fell again, this time down the stairs landing on a concrete
landing. They then shut the door
and watched him through the door and windows. The kids also report that he fell
at least one more time as he
was walking away to the north when he stepped in a pothole in the alley next to
the house.
The kids also report that after he was outside they began asking him questions
about why he was there
and what his name was. When he responded that his name was Usama the kids
responded to that comment.
Although they report they thought he was joking. This office believes it is
likely that Mr. Alshaibi heard some
words and phrases that could be considered racial slurs. This conclusion is
based upon the statements of the
witnesses, items located on social networking sites, and some of the behaviors
observed prior to and during the
interviews.
Mr. Alshaibi reported that he told the partygoers his name inside the house on
the second floor. As soon
as he told them his name he was hit and beaten by four young men. His glasses
were knocked off his face and it
was hard for him to see. He reported attempting to protect his face with his
arms. He reports he continued to
be struck as he was trying to get out of the residence.
The investigation reveals that the only physical contact inside the house was
when Mr. Jennings threw
Mr. Alshaibi out of the house. This is corroborated by the fact that Joshua
Bishop did not wake up when Mr.
Alshaibi was inside the house even though the front door accessed the room he
was sleeping in. In addition, no
blood was found inside the residence. It was not possible for Mr. Alshaibi to
have been beaten by four young
men as there were only three present at the time. All of the kids report that
Mr. Alshaibi had his glasses on
when he was thrown out of the house. Finally, Mr. Alshaibi did not have any
injuries on his arms. Those types
of injuries would be expected if he were protecting his face and head with his
arms and are commonly called
defensive wounds.
The investigation further revealed a high likelihood that the kids followed Mr.
Alshaibi outside after he
was thrown out. It is unlikely they could have seen him fall multiple times
from inside. Plus, Joshua Bishop
reported that he woke up when the kids came back into the house. As stated
earlier it is likely that Mr. Alshaibi
heard some very harsh language at that time. It is unknown when he lost his
glasses. Ms. Strickland
remembers hearing him ask where his glasses were after he fell outside near the
stairs. However, Mr.
Alshaibi’s glasses were not located until Thursday, March 10. They were found
lying on the ground next to the
sidewalk in the 500 block of West Broadway. This is about half a block north
and around the corner from the
Bishop house. They were in the grass next to a green sweater. During his
interview with police Mr. Alshaibi
reported losing a green sweater he was carrying in his pocket sometime during
or after the altercation. The loss
of this sweater was not publicly disclosed. When asked by police the occupants
of both houses nearest to where
the sweater and glasses were found said that they had seen it there for several
days, but less than a week. They
assumed that whoever lost it would walk by again and pick it up. It is unknown
how the glasses and sweater
each ended up in that location.
Mr. Alshaibi eventually walked to the parking lot of Family Video located
approximately ½ block south
and 4 blocks west of the Bishop residence. Once there he called Mr. Tsingaris
on his cell phone and Mr.
Tsingaris walked to this location. As the two of them were in the parking lot
the manager of the video store
placed a 911 call at 12:19 a.m. and reported that there was one male and one
female in the parking lot crying
and screaming. The manager assumed this to be a domestic dispute. Officers
arrived in 1 minute and located
Mr. Alshaibi and Mr. Tsingaris in the parking lot. It is clear from the
investigation that the manager simply
misidentified one of the men as a female in his initial call and that these are
the only two people who were in
the parking lot.
We are charged with examining these facts and determining if a crime has been
committed. It is our
opinion that no charges should be filed in this situation as the facts do not
demonstrate criminal behavior
beyond a reasonable doubt.
To prove assault we must show that a person did an act intending to cause pain
or injury to another and
that that act was done without justification. In this case the only person who
we can prove made contact with
Mr. Alshaibi was Mr. Jennings. Mr. Jennings did not do anything intending to
hurt or injure Mr. Alshaibi. On
the contrary Mr. Jennings was just trying to get Mr. Alshaibi out of the house.
It is also difficult to know how
Mr. Alshaibi received his injuries. It would clearly be assault if the injuries
were a result of a beating. Here it
is just as likely that the injuries were caused by the multiple falls outside
of the home. If the evidence is not
clear, we cannot prove a crime took place.
In addition, it appears that Mr. Jennings was justified in his behavior. Iowa
law recognizes the “castle
doctrine” which states that a person has no duty to retreat from his residence.
Rather, a person has the right to
protect themselves inside their own house. The only requirement is that the act
be reasonable. Mr. Jennings did
not use a weapon or anything excessive. He simply pushed Mr. Alshaibi out of
the Bishop home after hearing
Gabe say he was not welcome and should leave.
There has been much public discussion of this incident as a possible hate
crime. A hate crime is not a
separate offense. It is an additional series of elements that must be proven to
enhance a crime. Since we don’t
have an assault or any other crime, we can’t have a hate crime. Even if we had
the evidence to file some
charge, we would not file a hate crime enhancement under these facts. A primary
element of a hate crime is
that the crime was committed because of the victim’s race, national origin,
ancestry, or other listed
characteristics. In this case the only physical contact was motivated by the
desire to get an uninvited guest out
of the house. It is our belief that this physical contact would have happened
to any person regardless of national
origin or race.
We have also been asked to review the facts for possible trespass or public
intoxication charges against
Mr. Alshaibi. These charges are also not appropriate. To prove a trespass we
must show that Mr. Alshaibi
entered the house without permission with the intent to commit an offense. Mr.
Alshaibi has consistently stated
that he met a woman who told him where the party was and that he took her
comments as an invitation.
Although that young woman cannot be identified or even verified it is clear
that Mr. Alshaibi believed himself
to be invited. He did not have any intent to commit any offense inside the
home. He was not looking through
drawers or attempting to take or damage anything.
He could also be charged with trespassing if he remained on the property after
being told to leave. It is
clear that he was told to leave. It is also clear that he walked downstairs
following that statement where he was
found just standing in the living room. By all accounts it was dark and a very
little time passed before he was
thrown out. Mr. Alshaibi was not given the time to demonstrate he was simply
ignoring the request to leave.
He just as likely was unable to find the door in the dark and only was able to
get out when he was shoved out.
As for public intoxication Mr. Alshaibi was never tested to determine his level
of intoxication. We
believe it would have been inappropriate to have done so. When officers
encountered him in the Family Video
parking lot he was clearly bleeding from the head and had sustained some
injury. He was complaining of an
assault and was obviously of age to legally consume alcohol. He was treated as
a victim as he should have
been.
Although not an element of any crime we also consider the motivation for the
requested charges. No
one at the Bishop house called the police to report an intruder. In fact, the
kids indicated that it was creepy and
weird but also over pretty quickly. They felt like they handled it. Once it was
clear that the police were trying
to find the location where this incident occurred the police still were not
contacted by anyone who had been at
the Bishop residence. Only after the police found them and invited them to be
interviewed was there a
suggestion that Mr. Alshaibi should be charged with something.
There are also problems with the information that would be fatal if we pursued
prosecution. Mr.
Alshaibi has been very cooperative and understanding throughout this
investigation. However his version of
the events is full of gaps potentially caused by his injuries, his alcohol
consumption, and the trauma he feels
from that night. These gaps leave room for other reasonable explanations and
make prosecution impossible.
There has been public speculation that this was some publicity stunt
orchestrated by Mr. Alshaibi.
There is zero evidence of that. He presents as very sincere and it is our
belief that he is simply hoping to fill in
some of the gaps for himself so he can have a better understanding of what
happened.
Another problem is the amount of publicity in this matter. The internet had
both a positive and negative
impact on this investigation. Officers were able to determine the location of
this incident as a result of postings
on social networking sites. That helped officers focus on the correct
neighborhood and interview the right
people. On the negative side the kids had read the claims made by Mr. Alshaibi
and discussed them before they
were ever interviewed. That creates the possibility of the kids trying to get
their story straight before meeting
with the police. There are some obvious inconsistencies in all the stories that
cannot be reconciled with the
known facts. The publicity also caused the kids to want to rebut what they had
read rather than simply giving a
statement. These are all factors that were considered in reviewing the evidence
and considering how any
information may be presented and attacked in a trial.
With the release of this report this office considers this matter closed unless
further, undiscovered
evidence is found. It is our hope that Mr. Alshaibi will not be vilified for
suffering injuries and posting his
immediate perceptions in a blog. It is also our hope that the diverse citizens
of Fairfield and Jefferson County
continue to respectfully live, work, and play together as has been our
tradition.
We would like to thank the people who came forward with the information that
helped us to determine
the location of this incident and in helping to get the investigation on track.
It says a great deal about our
community when people are willing to step forward and do the right thing.
We would also like to thank the Fairfield Police Department Officers who worked
on this matter for all
their hard work, dedication, and professionalism while handling a delicate
situation. We would also like to
thank Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation Special Agent Rick John for his
assistance and work on this
matter. He was a true asset to a thorough investigation of all matters.
We would also like to thank the press for their patience while this matter was
thoroughly investigated to
determine the appropriate handling of this matter.
Please contact the Jefferson County Attorney’s Office as set out above with any
questions.