> --- TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > .> ...if they were ALL
> > > segregated, there wouldn't be a need for signs...
> >
> > This is correct.  Also, almost all restaurants along
> > major
> > highways (there were no Interstates in those days)
> > were
> > integated, for obvious reasons.
> >
> > The attempt to portray the South as if it were full
> > of segre-
> > gated restaurants, as if that was the norm, is on
> > the same
> > level as white people saying that all black people
> > did in
> > the South at that time was sit around and eat
> > watermelon
> > and tapdance.
> >
> > In both cases, it's ignorant people trying to
> > project *their*
> > biased stereotypes onto a society that was far more
> > varied
> > and far more complex than their simplistic minds can
> > handle.
> >
> > When this reverse discrimination is done just to win
> > a silly
> > argument and prove one's out-of-control ego "right,"
> > it's
> > almost more offensive than when it's done out of
> > true hatred.
>
> This exchange is starting to take a hard turn because
> nobody is either an expert on the topic or they did
> not live back then in the deep south. One thing is
> true, and that is that history is re-visionist. What
> we say happened "back then" is not necessarily so.

With all due respect, I sat in on this silly discussion
because I *did* live in the deep South back then.
And I was getting damned tired of the reverse discrim-
ination of idiots who did *not* live there then making
statements about what it was like.  It's nothing more
than "white niggerism," trying to paint a whole society
a certain way to match their preconceptions and their
belief that they were "superior" because they lived
up North.  There was a great deal of ignorance and
bias in the South in the 1950s, but it has been more
than matched by the ignorance and bias shown here
today.