--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- mrfishey2001 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > "This exchange is starting to take a hard turn
> > because
> > nobody is either an expert on the topic or they did
> > not live back then in the deep south. One thing is
> > true, and that is that history is re-visionist. What
> > we say happened "back then" is not necessarily so."
> >

> > True, and illustrated starkly In Kazantzakis' The
> > Last Temptation of
> > Christ. The savior returns to live out his life as a
> > quiet citizen.
> > Walking through the village square one day he comes
> > upon a man
> > preaching about the life of Christ. The words,
> > twisted and accusatory,
> > resemble little to the life of an enlightened soul.
> > Christ, in an
> > effort to save his teachings, confronts the speaker.
> > The man, flooded
> > with his own brilliance, reminds a bewildered Christ
> > "it matters
> > little what you actually said... I am speaking now".
>
> Brilliant example and a brilliant movie. The people
> who protested the movie-most of whom hadn't even seen
> the movie!-didn't understand it.

One of my favourite all-time movies...saw it three times in the
first week it was out.

As a "failed" Christian, it was one of the only times that
Christianity had a truly moving experience for me.  Kazantzakis was
a sincere seeker and Christian who reconciled a part of the Bible
that Christendom had waited 2,000 years to be reconciled: when
Christ is on the cross and says "Father, why hast thou forsaken
me?".  The entire book is based upon answering that question which
Kazantzakis does with flying colours.

I consider "The Last Temptation of Christ" as the missing chapters
of the Bible.