--- shempmcgurk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >

> > --- mrfishey2001 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter
> > > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > "This exchange is starting to take a hard turn
> > > because
> > > nobody is either an expert on the topic or they
> did
> > > not live back then in the deep south. One thing
> is
> > > true, and that is that history is re-visionist.
> What
> > > we say happened "back then" is not necessarily
> so."
> > >

> > > True, and illustrated starkly In Kazantzakis'
> The
> > > Last Temptation of
> > > Christ. The savior returns to live out his life
> as a
> > > quiet citizen.
> > > Walking through the village square one day he
> comes
> > > upon a man
> > > preaching about the life of Christ. The words,
> > > twisted and accusatory,
> > > resemble little to the life of an enlightened
> soul.
> > > Christ, in an
> > > effort to save his teachings, confronts the
> speaker.
> > > The man, flooded
> > > with his own brilliance, reminds a bewildered
> Christ
> > > "it matters
> > > little what you actually said... I am speaking
> now".
> >
> > Brilliant example and a brilliant movie. The
> people
> > who protested the movie-most of whom hadn't even
> seen
> > the movie!-didn't understand it.
>

> One of my favourite all-time movies...saw it three
> times in the
> first week it was out.
>
> As a "failed" Christian, it was one of the only
> times that
> Christianity had a truly moving experience for me.
> Kazantzakis was
> a sincere seeker and Christian who reconciled a part
> of the Bible
> that Christendom had waited 2,000 years to be
> reconciled: when
> Christ is on the cross and says "Father, why hast
> thou forsaken
> me?".  The entire book is based upon answering that
> question which
> Kazantzakis does with flying colours.
>
> I consider "The Last Temptation of Christ" as the
> missing chapters
> of the Bible.

I saw a play of "The Last Temptation of Christ" years
ago. It was an off-off-Broadway production in this
little theatre in NYC with a cast of about 5 actors
playing multiple roles (Satan was a female actress who
also played Mary and Christ's wife!). Incredible, I
was so deeply moved. Something very special. The only
other play that has effected me as much was the
Broadway production of "Agnes of God" (original cast).
Blows your mind and reveals the depth of our need to
believe in the Divine. Just wonderful.