> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "seventhray1" steve.sundur@
wrote:

> > I look at various spiritual teachers, and conclude that they do
> > operate in a different mode, and have indeed accessed different
> > levels of awareness.
>
> I have no problem with many people, including myself,
> having accessed (either briefly or permanently) "different
> levels of awareness." I have seen absolutely no indication
> that these are anything BUT different levels of subjective
> awareness; that is, I have seen no indication that they
> improve any "operating" in the real world.
Speaking from my experience, I have noticed greater support from
environment.  As for "full time" teachers or "gurus" who appear to have
"arrived", I see their role as one to help guide and inspire others who
may choose a similiar path.spiritual teachers, they serve as
> > And I say mostly from my own experiences.
>
> I'd love to know what experiences lead you to believe that
> the teachers you're referring to "operate in a different
> mode."
I have found the insights and experiences which they have recorded in
books or video to be indicative of "higher states of consciousness" or
awareness.  If you want some objective criteria, I cannot provide it.
There are many things I believe, that I cannot verify objectively.  I
believe that the neighbors dog who I pet every day and to whom I give
table scraps is very fond of me.  But I cannot prove that objectively.
And I am okay with that, and numerous other examples like it.  I would
go so far as to say all of us operate in this way to a greater or lesser
extent.
> > And I don't follow a teacher per se. But I have been influenced
> > by MMY, and more particularly the Indian, or easter[n] system of
> > belief.
>
> Your call, and your right. But if you want to be accurate,
> don't conflate "Indian" with "Eastern." There are many
> different belief systems in India itself, much less across
> Asia. Hindu ain't Buddhist. Hindu ain't Taoist. Hindu ain't
> Shinto. And as we've seen by "authority wavers" here, Hindu
> ain't even Hindu; you'd be lucky to find agreement between
> two Shankaracharyats, much less across the full range of
> Hinduism.
Good point.  I have drawn my inspiration from the Upanishads,
Bhagavatam, and some Vashista books.  As well as Ramakrishna,
Vivekananda, and Muktananda to name a few.
> > I am not sure if those in the "unbelievers" camp disregard
> > all that is offered along those lines, but I have found these
> > teachings to be releveant to my own experience in many ways.
"Unbelievers" was not a good term.  But it was the best I could come up
with with little time.
> A meaningless statement. First because you felt the need to
> use the term "unbelievers." Second because you don't define
> "these teachings." WTF are you talking about exactly? For
> example, if you are trying to say that sitting meditation has
> potential value, I don't think you'll get an argument about
> that from either Curtis or I. If you were talking "mindfulness,"
> I'd say that it has *great* value, potentially much more than
> sitting meditation. The siddhis? No value whatsoever, and
> that would be true even if anyone in the TMO had ever actually
> manifested them, which they haven't. Jyotish, S-V, and that
> sort of crap? Actual "negative value" in my opinion, because
> other than feeding the placebo effect all they do is separate
> people from their hard-earned money. So you've got to be more
> specific about "teachings" if you want to be taken seriously.
Okay, I'll go with sitting meditation.  It gives me relaxation and a
refined outstroke in many cases.  I often feel a residual effect in
daily life.  I notice that it also has a  positive effect on my blood
pressure.
> > And I not willing to chalk it up to the power of suggestion.
>
> I can chalk almost anything up to the power of suggestion,
> and to the placebo effect. That doesn't mean that these things
> don't have value to some people, merely that it's very possible
> that they don't "work" the ways that people believe they do.
I am not "looking" for experiences.  In fact if I think I am having
them, then I try to pay them even less mind.  I would like to think that
I have an aversion to "mood making".   I am comfortable with where I am
in the whole scheme of things.  One day at a time seems like a practical
way to live.
> > I have also observed some real inconsistencies in the "unbeliever"
> > outlook especially as it pertains to karma. In order to explain
> > karma and it's long term ramifications I see the "unbeliever"
> > introduce their own supernatural tenants. More later if anyone
> > is interested.
>
> I'm interested, because I have seen no such thing.

Okay, I'll be specific.  I recall asking Curtis some time ago about a
newborn which I assume, from an atheist pov comes into the world as a
blank slate.  I then asked if we would then chalk up any abilities or
tendencies that come into play to conditioning.  His reply was, and I
paraphrase, "there is so much we don't know about genetics".  To me that
sounds a lot like the "mystery of God talk".   Chalk something we don't
understand or can't explain to a higher understanding we don't or can't
possess.

> Remember, karma is a *theory*, nothing more. There is not a
> shred of evidence that such a theory has any relationship to
> reality. I happen to believe that it does, but that's just a
> belief on my part. But I don't see that I have to believe in
> anything "supernatural" to support my belief, and I don't
> think I've seen anyone else suggest such a thing. So again
> you're going to have to be more specific.
I certainly can't prove karma.  But in trying to make sense of things, I
have subscribed to this theory.  When you ask an atheist about action
and reaction-payback for good and "bad" actions, I have found the
answers to be unsatisfying.  That's just me.  Karma makes sense.  Just
me again.
> One thing that you are right about is that us Unbelievers
> don't tend to let people get away with vague, hazy Newagey
> language that doesn't really say anything. :-)

Well, I wrote that reply while getting ready to go to work.  I hope I
have provided some clarification.