(az--still more grist for the mill...)

If Vaj believes his recent posts bolster his claim to
have been a TM teacher, somebody needs to tell him
that they're doing precisely the opposite. It appears
he wasn't a checker either, and quite possibly not
even a TMer. Unless, of course, he's deliberately
misrepresenting the instructions for TM in an attempt
to confuse readers who weren't themselves TM teachers
or checkers.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@...> wrote:
<snip>
> I think you'll also see that I answered the question of
> "introduction of mantra"/ discursive vs. sahaja if you
> look over the posts. I was really curious how many people
> had broached the subject, as the question "what do I do
> if the mantra doesn't start or appear (as a mentation)?"
> was a common one.

The likelihood of a TMer asking this question is
vanishingly small. If it were ever asked, the response
would be along these lines (my words, interpreting what
would be going through the teacher's mind): "What do you
do if the mantra doesn't start? Haven't you been
listening? If the mantra doesn't start, dummy, you start
it, at the end of the half-minute of silence. You don't
just sit there waiting for it to appear."

Only the most inattentive TMer conceivable could possibly
wonder what to do "if the mantra doesn't start."

-----

[az asked:]

[Lawson wrote:]
> > Except introducing the mantra is to happen after 30
> > seconds IF the mantra doesn't appear on its own,
> > spontaneously. Sheesh. Get checked, folks. Pay
> > attention this time.
>
> Exactly. IOW, it's a subtle but important distinction for
> TMers who know how to meditate properly. It's an important
> distinction because you realize that there are some people
> who will simply never have the mantra appear on it's own!

TMers who know how to practice TM properly follow the
instructions to start with half a minute of silence, then
begin to think the mantra.

The entire checking algorithm is constructed based on the
assumption that the meditator will introduce the mantra
following the half-minute of silence. If the meditator
reports (on his own initiative; the checker does not ask
any questions that would elicit such a report--it actually
would be an interruption of the normal procedure) that the
mantra has emerged on its own *during* the half-minute of
silence, it's treated as an exception. There's a special
branch of Point 7 of the algorithm to respond to it.

This branch is used to call the meditator's attention to
the experience of effortlessness in thinking the mantra.

> Others will have intention to sit, close the eyes and pick
> the mantra up a very subtle, abstract level right off and
> fall in the groove. If they've repeated it enough, that
> groove will become automatic, spontaneous, sahaja.

If a TMer *has the intention* to pick up the mantra on a
subtle level during the half-minute of silence, the
meditator has ceased to practice TM. No such intention
is called for during the half-minute of silence. If the
mantra happens to emerge from the silence, it does so in
the absence of any intention on the meditator's part.

(For that matter, if the TMer has the intention to pick
up the mantra "on a subtle level" *after* the half-
minute of silence, that isn't TM either; there's even
a General Point explaining that this would constitute
"effort during meditation.")

There is nothing in the checking algorithm or General
Points to suggest that the mantra *should* emerge
during the half-minute of silence. As noted, the
algorithm assumes that it won't. If it does, fine. If
it doesn't, fine; start it after the half-minute of
silence is up.

Vaj's assumption that it's *preferable* for the mantra
to start on its own (much less that the meditator should
*intend* for it to start on its own--an obvious oxymoron)
is not reflected anywhere in the instructions for TM.
It's purely Vaj's invention, and if it were to be
incorporated into the instructions, those instructions
would no longer be for TM as taught by Maharishi Mahesh
Yogi.