comment below that Substitutionary Atonement wasn't Jesus' teaching, but rather
Paul's:.
 In support of a more global, supportive approach beyond Paul, proponents offer
John 3:14-18, John 12:27-33; Isaiah
53: 1-12; I Peter 3:18, and Luke 4:16-22. (from Wiki):
" Technically speaking, substitutionary atonement is the name given to a number
of Christian models of the atonement that all regard Jesus as dying as a
substitute for others, "instead of" them. It is thought to be expressed in the
Bible in passages such as "He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree,
that we might die to sin and live to righteousness,"[1 Pet. 2:24] and "For
Christ also died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, that
he might bring us to God."[1 Pet. 3:18] (although other ways of reading
passages like this are also offered).[1][2]

There is also a less technical use of the term 'substitution' in discussion
about atonement when it is used in 'the sense that [Jesus, through his death,]
did for us that which we can never do for ourselves'.[3]