imo...nothing's convincing about the Bible, as to one's conclusions, say - by
cherry picking verses in support of various povs. If one elects to see
substitutionary Atonement in the Bible, fine with me; or one can reject it
totally, opting for a form of Gnosticism which totally rejects the Redemption
by Atonement, as in the case of Bishop Spong. (I would agree with a few of
these, but not others; ymmv) -
Bishop Spong's "12 Points", from Wiki: brackets - my inserts.

" Twelve points for ReformTheism, as a way of defining God, is dead. So most
theological God-talk is today meaningless. A new way to speak of God must be
found. [chiefly on the basis of the "Ground of Being", with no Atonement
through the Crucifixion].

Since God [again, God = "Ground of Being" for Spong, following Tillich] can no
longer be conceived in theistic [i.e. the personal Deity, YHVH; or the Trinity]
as a  terms, it becomes nonsensical to seek to understand Jesus as the
incarnation of the theistic deity.[in Spong's opinion] So the Christology of
the ages is bankrupt.[in other ways, especially!, in addition to its dualism]

The Biblical story of the perfect and finished creation from which human beings
fell into sin is pre-Darwinian mythology and post-Darwinian nonsense.[that's
for sure!]

The virgin birth, understood as literal biology, makes Christ's divinity, as
traditionally understood, impossible.[genetically speaking only...has no
bearing on "Divinity" per se, although it would indeed be miraculous.
Conceivably (a pun) a demon could have a miraculous birth].

The miracle stories of the New Testament can no longer be interpreted in a
post-Newtonian world as supernatural events performed by an incarnate
deity.[conflating 2 different concepts: miracle stories and "incarnate deity".
These are separate but related considerations].

The view of the cross as the sacrifice for the sins of the world is a barbarian
idea based on primitive concepts of God and must be dismissed.[no more so than
the concept of "Yagyas", although goat sacrifices and the like; let alone human
Sacrifice, must imo certainly be looked at critically].

Resurrection is an action of God. Jesus was raised into the meaning[raised into
elevated Consciousness. Spong doesn't accept the physical Resurrection. Neither
do I but this is speculation. Not enough convincing evidence imo].. It
therefore cannot be a physical resuscitation occurring inside human
history.[non-Sequitur]

The story of the Ascension assumed a three-tiered universe and is therefore not
capable of being translated into the concepts of a post-Copernican space
age.[obviously, erudite people like Paul never believed that Heaven is
physically in the "sky", so Spong's introduction of "space age" is bogus].

There is no external, objective, revealed standard written in scripture or on
tablets of stone that will govern our ethical behavior for all time.[right, a
point made by Sam Harris years after Spong's 12 points. Who needs YHVH or Jesus
to be ethical?].

Prayer cannot be a request made to a theistic deity to act in human history in
a particular way.[nobody seems to know for sure, but prayers to a "theistic
deity" can be made the subject of scientific inquiry].
The hope for life after death must be separated forever from the behavior
control mentality of reward and punishment.[he means by the external "God",
YHVH; or the Trinity]. The Church must abandon, therefore, its reliance on
guilt as a motivator of behavior.[for fricken' sure!]
All human beings bear God's image[doesn't quite make sense but what he means is
that the Ground of Being is literally the ultimate Substratum or AM-ness, but
is not really an "image"]. and must be respected for what each person is.[fine,
but evades the question of good vs evil].
 Therefore, no external description of one's being, whether based on race,
ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation, can properly be used as the basis for
either rejection or discrimination.[unless for example, somebody pulls his
pants down in public].
[that's it for Spong-isms for now! (ymmv).]