--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "seventhray1" <steve.sundur@...> wrote:

> Steve
>
> > > That's not my take. Tart is meeting parry with parry. I
> > > think it's an appropiate response. I am often perplexed
> > > by Tart's perspectives, but who cares.
> >
> Judy
>
> > But his whole deal is to *disparage* parrying, to portray
> > himself as above that sort of thing. Skip down to around
> > the middle of all the quoted stuff and read his little
> > lecture, you'll see what I mean.
>
> This is the comments of Tart's I focussed on:

That's one of the ones I was referring to. He's putting
Jim down for what you're calling "parrying," implying
that he, Tart, is above it; then he goes and does it
himself when Ravi tweaks him a little bit. When you
criticize a particular behavior, you need to be careful
not to indulge in it yourself, or you're going to look
like a hypocrite.

He spent most of the morning strutting around chastising
various people for the way they think and behave, making
I'm-so-enlightened-I-don't-have-to-do-that noises.

When you look down your nose at folks and put yourself
on that kind of pedestal, you invite extra scrutiny of
your own behavior.

<snip>
> Tart again:
>
> > > A far as defending others, hardly. I am not interested in
> > > defending myself, much less others. However, take this
> > > morning, for example, I have had several nice, insightful
> > > (for me) exchanges with Turq. What am I to denounce or
> > > defend? In the past I have had nice exchanges with you.
> > > And with Vaj, Empty Bill, Nabs, Peter, and any number of
> > > others. Do I really need to join some invisible sides and
> > > denounce others? Simply because others see some flaws in
> > > others that are either invisible to me, or unimportant --
> > > or if they don't see the same joy in life and people that
> > > I experience?
>
> I felt this was a pretty balanced statement and I related to it.

Smug and self-satisfied is the way I'd describe it. And note
that it contradicts itself, since it implies he experiences
such joy in life and people that he can ignore their flaws--
while he's criticizing Jim for the flaws he, Tart, sees in him.

It's tough to criticize people for criticizing people without
getting caught in self-contradiction.