> on 8/5/05 10:10 AM, shempmcgurk at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote
> >
> > My dirty little secret is that, for me, it's MORE than "brief
> > moments": I wish I had the capacity to "believe" as TM Acolytes do
> > all the time, and unthinkingly be devoted to the craziness of the
> > TMO.  LIfe would be a hell of alot easier.
>
> Would it? I don't see too many of them living easy lives.

Define "easy lives."  What makes life easy, your
circumstances, or your attitude toward/experience
of those circumstances?

If I may, I'm going to repost some things I said on
alt.m.t a couple of years ago that may be germane in
this context.  (I've edited them slightly for length
and relevance.)

The first post was in response to a comment
from TMer Tom Pall.

----------------------
Tom Pall wrote:
<snip>
> I have reported experiences on this newsgroup wherein I
> feel that MMY and I are on the same level.  When I look out over
> the landscape, everything MMY does and says makes perfect sense.
> It's sort of a Vedic version of Mr. Roger's Neighborhood where
> there is no muck and mire. Time both exists and doesn't exist.  And
> each of MMY's creations make sense. It's a make your own reality
> world.  A king wearing a funny hat and ministers of everything make
> as much sense as being really into one of Shakespeare's plays where
> the language, allusions and ideas all make total sense and are as
> real as anything can be real.  Even more real than that, as
> there's the Absolute driving it, just as there are universal
> archetypes and/or the shared Human Experience driving Shakespeare's
> play..

That's really well put.

Back in 1995, I spent the summer at the TM facility
in Asbury Park, New Jersey.  It was a big, fancy hotel
that housed national and international staff and an MA-V
clinic; it served as an R&R stop for movement folk from
all over the world, including Jyotishis and vaidyas and
Gandharva Veda musicians and TM-Sidhis administrators.
Residence courses and complete TM-Sidhis courses,
including the flying block, were held there.  There was
also a contingent of Purusha in residence.  It was
really a cross-section of the entire movement at the
time.

The facility was also a working hotel, movement run but
catering to non-TMers, at the same time.  But they didn't
have as many paying guests as they would have liked, so
they had a special deal where TMers could rent suites
on a monthly basis for an extremely reasonable fee and
carry on their normal lives.  I thought it would be neat
to have a sort of working vacation on the Jersey shore
for the summer (the hotel was right on the beach, and
I got a suite with a full ocean view) and have the
opportunity to do group program on a regular basis, while
I was doing my regular editing work.

So I had the unusual experience of living right smack
in the middle of the movement without actually being
a part of it.  I socialized at meals and during off-hours
with all the movement folks, including a number of old-time
TM governors, who would frequently hold forth about the
early days of the movement and who loved to talk about
Maharishi and explain why he did what he did.

Anyway, there were times during that summer when I had
a very similar experience to what Tom describes:
everything about the movement made perfect sense.  (It
wasn't an experience of higher consciousness, as Tom's
seems to have been, though, at least it didn't feel
like that at all.)  It also became obvious during these
experiences that the "real world" was nuts, completely
out of kilter.

But then because in the course of my work and other
activities of my "normal" life I would have frequent
contact with the "real world," I'd get pulled out of
that perspective, and all of a sudden the real world
would look completely rational and the movement would
look nuts and out of kilter, just as it always had
before.  I shuttled back and forth between these two
perspectives all summer.  It was truly weird; there
was absolutely no way to reconcile them.  Whichever
one I was immersed in, the other was utterly, hopelessly
incompatible.

When I was in movement mode, I would occasionally
contemplate committing myself to the movement.
But I realized I'd have to completely give up the
"real world" mindset; I couldn't keep one foot in
the real world and one foot in the movement.  The
"rules" were just too different.

In the end, obviously, I went back to the "real
world."  I don't regret making that choice for a
second, but to this day I genuinely don't know whether
the movement mode I got into was some kind of pathological
delusion, or an alternate reality that was entirely
legitimate and supremely sane on its own terms.

-----------------

Then later in a thread that was discussing how
MMY jumps from project to project, I elaborated
a bit:

-----------------

That's what I described as the movement mindset.  Living in the
"real world," I can't relate to it at all on any sort of visceral
level.  But when I was living at Asbury Park, as I said in my
earlier post, I was able to get into it for brief periods, and it
was *incredibly* liberating.  It was a real pain in the butt to
results.

Again I'd emphasize that in referring to the movement mindset,
I'm talking about psychology, not state of consciousness, in
my case.  It wasn't experiential.  But it isn't a matter of
*should* not care about results, it's a matter of *don't have
to*.  It's not an obligation you take on, it's an obligation
you're relieved of.

It's really hard to describe, but when you have "permission" to
drop your preoccupation with results, it very quickly becomes
clear what an oppressive load you've been carrying around, and
how completely unnecessary it is, how it hems you in, shackles
you.  All of a sudden you realize you can do things just for the
joy of doing them, and you realize how *rare* that is out in the
"real world."

This psychological mindset seems to make actual development of
consciousness go much more smoothly.  I think it literally
facilitates transcending in meditation, and it makes it
possible to be fully, unreservedly involved in activity, which
is what is said to stabilize pure consciousness.

According to several very wise old movement hands I've spoken to,
this is precisely why MMY is constantly starting new projects and
dropping old ones.  It has nothing to do with the projects
themselves, it's training for the movement staffers who work on
them.  It's one of the very few psychological techniques he uses
to facilitate development of consciousness.  You *have* to let go
of expectations, you *have* to stop worrying about results,
because you never get to *see* anything but the shortest-term
results before you have to drop whatever you're doing and start
in on something new.

I think it may also be a way of weeding folks out of the inner
movement circles who aren't yet at the point where they're able
to let go this way.  They need to "cook" out in the real world a
little longer.

I don't know if this is really why he does it, but it certainly
fits the observed facts, and it's absolutely consistent with what
he teaches.  So I'm inclined to think it's very plausible.