--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchydog@> wrote:

> > > Just a guess, but I suspect it's for severe anxiety
> > > resulting from this "scandal," not the behavior that
> > > caused it (although it'll almost certainly come up
> > > during his therapy). I think those close to him
> > > recognized that he was about to come apart at the
> > > seams and insisted he get help.
> > >
> > > I'd also guess that he's been suffering from anxiety
> > > for some time and that his online activities were a
> > > way of relieving it--self-medication, as it were.
> >
> > Maybe Weiner is an anxious guy, and maybe sexting helps
> > relieve his anxiety, don't know. Sexting is the reason he
> > gave for going into treatment
>
> That would be the reason given in any case. But I have
> a very strong hunch he had some kind of breakdown, was
> maybe even suicidal. I doubt it would have been quite
> so precipitous otherwise. There was no *immediate*
> need for him to be treated for his online behavior; I
> can't imagine there was any danger that he'd jump
> right in again.

In any case, it gives him cover to appear as though he is trying to clean up
his act, which will put him in good stead with his constituents to forgive him.
I'd rather not speculate on a breakdown or suicide. I think he is more of a
fighter than that. A more likely scenario is that in his meeting with his
friend, and voice of experience, Bill Clinton, Bill may have told him to get
treatment for compulsive sexual behaviors.

Obviously, Weiner won't sext anyone anytime soon, but Bill knows, as anyone
with a sexual compulsion knows, it's only a matter of time before Weiner fucks
up again. IMO he is smart to address his compulsions at a point in his life
when he is ready to admit he has a problem. It's critical to the survival of
his political career that he do so.