On 06/16/2011 10:46 AM, Rick Archer wrote:
> Interesting, honest account. I've been seeing Amma for about 12 years and
> have been meditating regularly (TM) since 1968. I can't dispute any of the
> externals you describe. I think your description of those is accurate. A lot
> of it is, as you say, necessary to manage the crowds that Amma hugs. Very
> carefully thought-out, detailed procedures are in place to keep things
> flowing smoothly. A few extra seconds spent unnecessarily with each person
> can mean hours in the course of a day. Amma is 57. All this has taken a toll
> on her body and every effort is made to lessen her load. The whole scene is
> very Indian, even cult-like.

I saw Ammachi only once while staying at the Kerela ashram.  Funny thing
was watching Indian teenagers throwing a tantrum because their parents
had dragged them along and they didn't like being at an ashram with all
the rules.   I've visited the San Ramon ashram once when a friend was
visiting and wanted to see but that was not when Ammachi was there.  At
the Kerela ashram I was talking to the videographer and realized the guy
standing next to him was a TM mucky-mucky back in the day I knew.  I
also knew his wife who I spotted later in the distance.  However after
chatting with him I no longer saw them during the duration of the stay
which made me wonder if they had some rule about talking to visitors who
had known them in the past. ;-)