--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@...> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@> wrote:

> > > What about the Beatles?  I think that was the reason MMY
> > > and TM became popular.
> >
> > Yes, in a PR sense, that is absolutely true. If he
> > hadn't run into the Beatles, almost no one would have
> > ever heard of him.
>
> Well, let's get technical here: HE didn't run into the Beatles.
> The Beatles sought HIM out. He was already famous enough that
> the Fab Four were hearing his name from their friends.

Famous enough *in England* and among their friends
that they'd heard of him. There were no large-scale
articles about him until after he'd run into and
thus been associated with the Beatles.

> > But the fact that he did, and co-opted their fame to
> > increase his own *also* springboarded off of the 60s
> > American hippie-love of anything Indian and the lack
> > of critical thought they brought to anything Indian.
>
> Again, the Beatles already had some interest in that topic
> -independently of Maharishi- although MMY certainly helped
> make it fashionable

Where do you get this stuff? Maharishi was speaking in
their 'hood, that's all. As I remember it a friend of
Patty Boyd's had heard of him and they went to see him
speak. Maharishi had made nothing "fashionable" because
at that point almost no one had heard of him.

> > > Charlie Lutes once said that the movement wouldn't have been
> > > as big without them but it might have been more sophisticated.
> >
> > Charlie was a fool. If it hadn't been for the Beatles,
> > almost no one on this forum would ever have heard of
> > Maharishi but him and a few other Theosophist types.
>
> Hard to say. The Beach Boys and many others (e.g. Donovan)
> who were also famous were interested in him, and independently
> of the Beatles.

Independently of, but because of. They would never have
heard of Maharishi had it not been for the Beatles, and
I dare say they would never have been *interested* in
him if it had not been for the Beatles.

Their involvement happened *after* the Beatles met him,
Lawson, as did the major press articles in magazines
like Look. That's when I first heard of him, too, in
1967, as a result of the Beatles meeting him, so
I tend to remember the sequence. The Beatles happened
first, and then all the other rock stars or folk stars
like Donovan climbed on board so that they could be
photographed with the Beatles' guru, too. Rishikesh
and the Beatles actually spending time with MMY didn't
happen until the next year. Look up the dates, Lawson.

> > > People were interested in yoga back in the 1960s and the
> > > Beatles threw the spotlight on a teacher who was interested
> > > in teaching the world. Think if they'd gone down the
> > > Scientology road. :-D
> >
> > Back then, they didn't have any celebrities to shill
> > for them. Maharishi did.
>
> Dunno if the people gathered around Hubbard saw the benefits
> of celebrity endorsements the way MMY did, but I suspect
> there were quite a few celebs back in the day.

Name one.