> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rory Goff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> <snip>
> > Just to clarify a bit -- in calling the cause of
> > suffering "stories," I am not trying to denigrate the experience
of
> > suffering itself, which is certainly real enough -- merely
> > attempting to point out that the suffering arises from self-
created
> > mental dramas which can be unraveled with a bit of
inquiry/analysis
> > (perhaps akin to Patanjali's "yoga is control of thought-waves
of
> > the mind").
>
> Or perhaps not.  What you're talking about is
> psychology.  Nothing wrong with psychology per
> se, but it's my distinct impression that isn't
> what Patanjali was into.
>
> Also, I wonder if Buddha would have agreed that
> "Life is what arises from self-created mental
> dramas which can be unraveled with a bit of
> inquiry/analysis."  ;-)

What you mention:  akin to Patanjali's "yoga is control of thought-
waves of the mind".

I think would be the opposite.
>From my understanding of Sanyama, is that we learn to hold pure-
consciousness(the simplest state of awareness), while we hold an
intention.
If you wish to "unravel mental dramas; I feel you must do the
opposite, of 'control'.
We are learning to 'let go' not 'control.
The whole process is to be innocent/
By witnessing, or just watching the mental dramas, realizing we are
not the mental dramas, by witnessing or watching the feelings that
arise from these mental dramas, by witnessing or watching we
dissolve the mental dramas or any other type of drama, and what is
left, is no drama.
The drama doesn't have to be "figured out", it just needs release...