This latest round of TMers claiming that they have been
personally insulted by someone criticizing or making fun
of their teacher or their path has caused me to think
back to my time in the TM movement. Those memories are
full of people -- my fellow TM teachers -- making all
*sorts* of jokes about and poking fun at Maharishi, TM,
the hours we spent on "program," our completely artificial
way of speaking in SIMS-speak and, most of all, ourselves.
People back then weren't so *touchy*. We had senses of
humor. We could *laugh* about ourselves, and the silly
thing we'd gotten ourselves involved with.

So WTF happened?

I think that part of it is that *over time* many people
became "self unaware." That is, they got so completely
immersed in the cult that they became incapable of
seeing themselves the way that someone outside the cult
might see them. There was a kind of homogenized self-
referentiality about always hanging with people who
believed the same things that you did and dressed the
same way that you did and said the same things you did
and...well...you get the point. It's as if people lost
the ability to discriminate between themselves and the
beliefs or people (spiritual teachers) or lifestyles
they had attached themselves to. Criticize one of these
things, and the self-unaware types react as if you
had criticized *them*.

The fascinating thing is that I don't see this inability
to "see oneself in context" in spiritual seekers who
only "signed on" to their spiritual trip for shorter
periods of time. I think that the rigidity and the loss
of the ability to laugh at oneself and one's spiritual
trip may be something that "accrues" over time -- many
years or decades.

What about it, you long-timers out there? Don't you
remember being able to make jokes about Maharishi or
TM or ourselves and the silly things we believed and
did in rooms full of other TBs...and have everyone
laugh? I sure do.

So WTF happened? If you have theories other than my
"stayed too long at the party" theory, I'd love to
hear them.