You're welcome.  You can probably find the beej mantras in a lot of
texts.  No one knows their origin for sure.  My guru things they just
evolved from tested sounds.

As for the deities they are considered to be a personification of forces
of nature.  The scientific references were over the heads of the people
so the guru personified the elements so the public could grasp them in
concept.

You are probably familiar with the Indian "stages of life" and the
"deities" that correspond to them.  Similarly there are the Ayurvedic
stages of life and there are mantras for each of those. ;-)

Are you saying you are having sleep problems since learning TM?  I know
some people do, often because of a vata imbalance and sometime pitta,
especially in summer.