--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:

> On 07/13/2011 09:14 PM, sparaig wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu<noozguru@>  wrote:

> >> Sure, because TM is only "yoga lite." :-D
> >>
> >> Just simple breathing exercises can produce alpha states.
> >>
> > WEll, yes. Simply closing the eyes can produce alpha states.
> >
> > There's alpha states and then there's alpha states.
> >

> > L.
>
> Really?  How so?  You mean there is "wiggle room"? :-D
>
> Why not just be honest and say that TM like other methods can produce
> alpha states?  Hang the marketing on other factors such as price.
> Obviously if you're paying such a high price you MUST be getting a
> superior technique. :-D

There's always that point: we tend to hold on  to something we value and if TM
costs so much, it must be valuable. Of course, that doesn't explain why *I*
still practice since even back then, $45 wasn't an overwhelming expense for me.
Steep, but not outrageous.

However,  what I meant by  "there's alpha and then there's alpha" is a
reference to the specific pattern(s) that show up during TM, especially during
the pure consciousness state.

Those aren't so common in most people, including people that practice other
forms of meditation (shamatha may or may not be an "other form" depending on
who you learn it from).

L.