On Jul 16, 2011, at 4:30 AM, cardemaister wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@...> wrote:
> >

> > On Jul 15, 2011, at 4:54 PM, sparaig wrote:
> >
> > > Certainly that is the case, that the TM researchers thought (and still
> > > do) that these episodes are significant. I'm curious as to why you think
> > > they are not?
> >

> > Because there's been nothing demonstrated as outside the normal realm of
> > waking-dreaming-sleeping for one.
> >
> > But the primary source is yogic literature itself, which defines the
> > different types of breath suspensions in considerable detail. The Hindu
> > science of breath is quite detailed.
> >

> Hmm...at least Bhojadeva in his commentary on YS, seems to
> define the fourth praaNaayaama simply as 'stambha-ruupo gati-
> vicchedaH':
>
> tau dvau viShayAvAkShipya paryAlochya yaH stambharUpI (?typo;
> I think it should be 'stambharUpo') gativichChedaH
> sa chaturthaH prANAyAmaH

The fourth pranayama, as explained numerous times before, is in no way related
to TM-based apneas. It's defined and experienced quite differently. The fourth
pranayama is alluded to in the tales of a number of sages and deities whereby
they suffocate the world through their practice, the beings thereby being
forced to seek refuge in god.

Once perfected, days, months or years, the yogin decides. It's completely under
the will.