> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius" <anartaxius@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Turqoiseb said something really interesting: 'On the
> > other hand, I thrive on cognitive dissonance; it defines
> > for me some of the highest, most profound moments of my
> > life. I actually seek it, as much as I seek anything.'
> >
> > I wonder if he might expand on this idea. Surely he
> > thrives in trying to create the experience of cognitive
> > dissonance for others, at which he is quite good, but what
> > would be his reason for seeking it out? It is normally
> > not natural to seek out discomfort.
>
> There is nothing inherent in the experience of
> cognitive dissonance that causes discomfort. It's
> how you react to it.
>
> I see cognitive dissonance as a kind of energy field.
> I am comfortable with that energy field; it's more
> interesting to me than the energy field of "knowing"
> or claiming to "know" things. I like the dynamic of
> the swirling energy of contradictory ideas being
> juggled. As usual with me :-), there is a Bruce
> Cockburn lyric that captures my feelings about this.
> It's as close as I can get to explaining it:
>
> You see the extremes
> Of what humans can be?
> In that distance some tension's born
> Energy surging like a storm
> You plunge your hand in
> And draw it back scorched
> Beneath it's shining like
> Gold but better
> Rumours of glory

Because this subject interests me, I'll try a little
harder to explain my approach to it. Unlike many here,
including I think Xeno and some others, my approach to
cognitive dissonance is not in the least intellectual.
I don't perceive cognitive dissonance to be an intel-
lectual phenomenon; it's an energy phenomenon.

A lot of my approach admittedly comes from the time I
spent with Rama - Frederick Lenz. Whatever else he
may have been, he was a great connoisseur of energies,
in the same way that others are connoisseurs of fine
wines. He'd take us out to the desert, or to other
places of power, and we'd meditate there and listen
to him rap, and dig the energies. He'd occasionally
try to explain the different energies, and help us
try to take advantage of the energy of a particular
place of power and draw upon it to make huge leaps
in our spiritual progress. It seemed to work; in my
experience I'd come back from those desert trips
blown out of my socks and blown out of my body. For
several days there would be not only no self, but
*nothing* one could hold onto as what only 24 hours
ago we'd laughingly called "reality." Instead there
was a subjective feeling of being totally "in flux,"
a self-identity as energy, moving, not as self, fixed.

I really dug it. I still do, and still make Road Trips
to places of power to immerse myself in the more
dynamic energies there and draw upon them to help me
make changes in my life. But not everyone did. Some
Rama students would be on the same hikes I was and
we'd get to one particular place and they'd double
up as if they'd been punched in the stomach. Rama
would explain that there was a particularly strong
energy field there and although they were perceiving
it as negative or some kind of "attack," it was just
energy. Then he'd advise them to eat a candy bar,
because in his opinion sugar helped to "cut" the
effect of strong energies like this. It always
worked. Go figure.

So in my case I don't think of cognitive dissonance
as being an intellectual thang at all; it's just a
particular intense, swirling band of energy. And I'm
pretty comfortable with that energy. I'm so bent that
I *get off* on that energy; it gets me high.

Others, maybe not so much. For them there may be an
immediate reaction to the energy that makes them want
to make it GO AWAY. And they accomplish this via
denial, via rationalization, via diving for the most
comforting "answer we've already prepared" dogma in
their spiritual quiver that "explains" it, or via
any number of other means. I rarely go there because
to me the energy is comfortable. There is no dis-ease
or discomfort caused by juggling seemingly contra-
dictory concepts or ideas. They ARE contradictory,
on one level of reality. On another, they aren't.
For me the "answer" to the koan of contradictory
ideas is found in transcending the plane of ideas
and the intellect, and dealing with the CD situation
on the level of energy.

This approach has helped me over the years in trying
to resolve the energy nexus that was Rama himself.
The guy was *simultaneously* able to meditate better
than anyone I've ever met, able to "broadcast" higher
states of attention to others, able to manifest many
of the siddhis, and *at the same time* he was arguably
a real dick, lacking in integrity, self-indulgent,
a control freak, paranoid, and a bit of a charlatan.
What could be more of a CD situation than that?

There is no "answer" to be found on any intellectual
plane for all of that. These things really were to some
extent contradictory. Yet they coexisted. I never try
to deny the contradictions, or even to try to "explain"
them intellectually; they just were, as part of the
reality I experienced when around him. *At the time*,
what prevented these contradictions from getting in
the way of having fun and having clear, shiny meds
was in a sense being able to transcend the one level
of reality in which these things appeared to be contra-
dictory and move to another level of reality in which
they weren't. It was very much the study of alternate
realities, close to what was described by Castaneda.

Carlos Castaneda, although more than a little a char-
latan himself, was valuable in that he invented a
language with which to describe these phenomena and
experiences. Just as Maharishi invented a made-up
language to attempt to describe the indescribable,
one that we still use on this forum because we share
it, Carlos invented terms that described the study
of occult energetics. If you have read him, I would
suggest that the resistance to feelings of CD is
something associated with the tonal, whereas getting
past that to a sense of comfort with CD is more
related to the nagual.