I've read HBHG, I've read a great deal about that area
and its spiritual traditions, and I've actually been
to Rennes-Le-Chateau.

HBHG is laughed at by real historians, and its authors
considered charlatans of the highest order. One of the
reasons people so dumped on Dan Brown for the Da Vinci
Code book is that they simply couldn't believe he would
rip off something that was already a ripoff, and a
discredited one. :-)

The legend itself, as far as I can tell from what real
scholars have said -- combined with my own intuition
and the "feel" of having been there and meditated
there -- is that the original story of the priest in
question magically making money appear was a hoax,
funded by those who wanted to turn their sleepy and
above all poor village into a place of pilgrimage,
and thus profit from the pilgrims. I am far from
alone in this belief.