On another forum, I am watching a bunch of folks who have never really
entertained any serious doubts about their teacher, his enlightenment,
and his important role in the cosmic significance of the universe
encounter former students of the same teacher who have entertained all
of these doubts. This can be an unsettling experience. I can almost hear
some of them thinking, because I've seen similar thoughts put into words
on so many forums where this same meeting of minds has taken place: "How
can these guys possibly doubt what is so obviously Truth to me? What is
WRONG with them to be able to do that?"

So what I'm wondering in this cafe today is where these thoughts *came
from*. Were the people in question born with them, or did they learn to
think that way? If the latter, did they learn this way of thinking
directly from the teacher they have never been able to even *imagine*
having doubts about? And if so, was that because of anything the teacher
ever *said* directly, or just in the way he carried himself?

I think that a lot of this 'tude is conveyed wordlessly, in the way in
which a spiritual teacher "carries himself." I think that this mindset
of complete certainty on the part of the students comes from the
teacher; *he* is completely certain. He believes his own stories not
only to be true, but Truth.

There is a powerful charisma in being that certain about one's own
stories. Other people can feel your own certainty and, living as they do
in a world of uncertainty, they are attracted to the teacher's certainty
and wonder how they could get some of it for themselves. The teacher
seems to never exhibit any doubts or disbelief in his own stories. He is
in a very real sense "centered in his own I-am-RIGHTness." Such teachers
often can't even *conceive of* being wrong; if they had the idea or
performed the action, it was right.

The thing is, is it?

It's all well and good to commend someone's belief in their own
essential RIGHTness 24/7, but what if they're...uh...uh...WRONG? What if
they're not really as fully enlightened as they think they are? What if
they were...uh...mistaken about that? What if they were equally mistaken
about the things they taught being the "highest path?" What if they did
a few things while pursuing that path that negatively impacted the lives
of others?

At this point, is the "good student's" tenacious lack of doubt in
everything that the teacher said or did being right...uh...right? Or is
it merely a reflection of the stories that the teacher told about
himself, stories that might -- if the above paragraph were true -- be
based in untruth, and possibly self delusion?

I see a value in doubt. My definition of doubt (at least in this
particular cafe, at this particular moment) is the process of Stepping
Away From The Certainty. I like to (nay, get off on) trying to suss out
the underlying unchallenged assumptions that I take for granted when
believing the things that I believe, and then challenging them. It's
almost like a home-grown Byron Katie thang; I ask myself, "Self, what if
this assumption I've been making is not true? What would *my* story,
based on the belief this assumption is true, look like if it weren't?"

I guess I'm more centered in the
I-Am-Simply-Not-In-The-Position-Of-Being-Able-To-Assume-My-Own-RIGHTness
mindset. Such a mindset doth not seem to have the same charisma factor
as its opposite, the sense of I-Am-RIGHTness. No one is ever likely to
glom onto me and follow me as any kind of spiritual teacher, because I
don't offer them anything to be certain about. And that leads me to the
subject of my next cafe rap...