There will be always a cult of followers who would take the words of a
teacher literally, but why should it cause us to completely negate the
concept of a teacher and the importance of a belief.
I was married to a cult follower. It was because of her that I was
introduced to spirituality and my teacher, she took everything
literally, used spirituality, astrology to paint me as "low vibe"
"slimeball" materialist. Anyone else would have formed strong opinions
against spirituality, teachers - however my teacher's love unknowingly
bound me. Her attacks initially caused me to aggressively defend myself,
cause a lot of pain and self-doubt. In spite of her "I-Am-Rightedness" I
was intelligent and intuitive enough to not discard spirituality. With
my own samskaras and the guru's grace I took greater interest and found
the real value of spirituality, that was beyond any belief, in me.
So this "I-Am-Rightedness" person, who caused me pain, torment was my
real Guru, her aggressive behavior was a blessing in disguise, since it
caused me to protect myself, my samskaras, my innate strengths. It led
me on a path of incredible journey to find the real value of
spirituality. From a spiritual perspective any person who causes us
grief, pain, discomfort is indeed the real Guru.