"Is innocence required for magic still possible"?
Yes - with the dawn of self-knowledge the innocence returns,  it is of
the same quality of a child with one key difference. There is the lack
of inhibition/shame and lack of boundaries similar to a child's
innocence.
Lack of inhibition because of the absence of ego bolstering thoughts and
the lack of boundary because the other is an extension of oneself.
However the key thing is the awareness, so the innocence is of a playful
quality, and ever ready to change and adapt as the situation changes. A
perfect contrast of introvertedness and extrovertedness, perfectly
content when alone, incredibly playful when around others, the ability
to mock oneself being one of the factors.