On 08/06/2011 10:11 AM, turquoiseb wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu<noozguru@...>  wrote:
>> Geez, it took you this long to catch on to one of the best
>> TV series ever produced?
> So far it wouldn't make my Top Ten.
>
> In comparison, the UK series that hasn't broken in
> the US yet "The Shadow Line" makes my Top Five. 3
> of the reasons it's better are the pacing, the
> acting, and the plot.
>
>> I've been recommending this show here ever since it's
>> first season. And Bryan Cranston has been winning the
>> best actor Emmy ever since it debuted. But probably
>> not this year and I even speculated that they allowed
>> the season to run AFTER this year's Emmy nominees had
>> been announced so maybe John Hamm would have a chance.
>> Got a bit of catchin' up to do there and some surprises
>> ahead.
> I'll take your word for the surprises, but as I see
> it so far (7 episodes into season 3) there haven't
> been any yet. Everything was pretty much predictable.
> One of the things I liked about "The Shadow Line"
> is that very little was. But YMMV. They're British
> cops and drug dealers, and thus things work a little
> differently than they do in Albuquerque.
>
> It has been really nice to see visuals of New Mexico
> again, though.

I got a kick out the episode two weeks ago because Walt has a meeting at
the Denny's across the street from the Dr. Lad's Ayurvedic clinic.   I
went there the first night I was at a Hart DeFouw class at his clinic.
I was not expecting smoking in the place but New Mexico had not caught
up with California.  And then I was not expecting the taxis situation
waiting over an hour for a cab.   There were two cab companies in
Albuquerque both owned by the same guy.   There was little incentive for
cabs to get there on time.  I almost missed my flight out on Sunday but
fortunately it had been delayed.  Fortunately the rest of the weekend a
former TM teacher who worked at the clinic ferried me back and forth
from my motel.  I made a note to rent a car the next time.

Of course I can't compare "The Shadow Line" yet but "Breaking Bad" is
heads and shoulders above the tripe that passes for US TV series.  The
pacing is fine but if one is into blatant exposition as found in many
lame US series maybe they won't enjoy it.   I think that BB has
brilliant writing, directing and acting.  So do the majority of people
on the HT forums I hang out on.

My "dessert" series is "In Plain Sight" which is on USA and also shot in
Albuquerque.  It shows that you don't have to be hokey either to produce
a formula series.  The other day a professional in the production field
on one forum agreed with me on that assessment and he is really tough on
series.