--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:

> On 08/06/2011 10:11 AM, turquoiseb wrote:
> >
> > It has been really nice to see visuals of New Mexico
> > again, though.
>
> I got a kick out the episode two weeks ago because Walt has
> a meeting at the Denny's across the street from the Dr. Lad's
> Ayurvedic clinic. I went there the first night I was at a Hart
> DeFouw class at his clinic. I was not expecting smoking in the
> place but New Mexico had not caught up with California. And
> then I was not expecting the taxis situation waiting over an
> hour for a cab. There were two cab companies in Albuquerque
> both owned by the same guy. There was little incentive for
> cabs to get there on time.

New Mexico has, on the whole, even less of a work ethic
than Spain. Although a very beautiful place if you like
the desert, it's the second poorest state in the nation.
People can make more money on welfare than by working.
Over decades, this has a rather debilitating effect.

> I almost missed my flight out on Sunday but fortunately it
> had been delayed.  Fortunately the rest of the weekend a
> former TM teacher who worked at the clinic ferried me back
> and forth from my motel. I made a note to rent a car the
> next time.

A good plan. One of the mini-scandals (brushed under the rug,
of course, as would tend to happen in a state in which 40%
of the jobs involve working for the Federal government) was
the disclosure by an Albuquerque newspaper that a year after
9/11, security personnel in the ABQ airport were being paid
less than employees down the street at McDonalds. This at an
airport that borders a US Air Force base at which, stored
in underground bunkers there, resides one-fourth of America's
nuclear arsenal. Hijack a plane just after takeoff and crash
it into those bunkers. Duh. And yet they didn't think it was
worth hiring professionals, or paying them like professionals.

> Of course I can't compare "The Shadow Line" yet but "Breaking
> Bad" is heads and shoulders above the tripe that passes for
> US TV series. The pacing is fine but if one is into blatant
> exposition as found in many lame US series maybe they won't
> enjoy it. I think that BB has brilliant writing, directing
> and acting. So do the majority of people on the HT forums I
> hang out on.

What can I say? I have different standards. Don't get me wrong,
because I *like* Breaking Bad. It's just that it wouldn't make
my Top Ten.

> My "dessert" series is "In Plain Sight" which is on USA and
> also shot in Albuquerque.

NM threw a bunch of bucks at the film industry to attract
film and television projects. It's one of those things you
do when you're the second poorest state in the union.

> It shows that you don't have to be hokey either to produce
> a formula series. The other day a professional in the
> production field on one forum agreed with me on that
> assessment and he is really tough on series.

Haven't seen it, can't comment. I'm trying to actually go
on a "TV series diet" lately, and am only catching up on
BB because my brother told me about the "character arc"
thang, and I'm interested in that lately. Thank you in
retrospect for trying to turn me on to it earlier. That
is belatedly appreciated.