> We got to talking about why we all came here regularly to drink (none
> seemed terribly interested in the establishment's main product), and
of
> course everyone mentioned the obvious -- the decor, and its Old World
> elegance. We're talking a *lovely* bar, reflecting all of the best of
> Dutch tradition, but also decorated with authentic Asian art. We're
> talking statues of Buddhas and dakinis and gods and goddesses that
rival
> any in the Asian Wing of Amsterdam's most famous art museum. The
"moving
> decor," in the form of some of the most beautiful women any of us had
> ever seen, was of course mentioned, and didn't hurt. But finally it
was
> the rock star who nailed it, and who thus jump-started the real meat
of
> the good conversation that followed it. He said, in his distinctive
> lower-class British accent, "I come here because I always have just
the
> BEST conversations here."

This sort of reminds me of what I would often hear growing up from
friends, or older guys.  "I read Playboy for the articles"  I would be
willing to bet that the main reason someone would patronize a brothel,
or a bar within a brothel, would be to make their way up the food chain
for an assignation.  I am not judging that.  But, by putting yourself in
that environment, you are saying, "Come on to me".  Maybe you get your
jollies by just having the come on, without a strong intention to
consummate, but that also says something, and I think it is guaranteed
that consummation is not to far away.  I discount that the driving
reason is the "conversation"

> was said afterwards as I have from all of the talks I've ever heard
from
> any of my spiritual teachers combined. The conversation just *nailed*
> the fact that for all four of us -- on completely different paths or
the
> lack of one -- we all had found a similar path: we just *loved* good
> conversations. In our respective memories, we "punctuated our life
> story" with the good conversations we've had.
>
> Besides Yab Yum, the power place that has generated the most
> consistently good conversations for me is the bar at the La Posada
hotel
> in Santa Fe. Again, it's a lovely bar, decor-wise. The hotel occupies
> one of the oldest mansions in Santa Fe; one of Santa Fe's richest
> families lived in the mansion for many years. The matron of this
family
> -- Julia -- committed suicide there and has been repeatedly viewed as
> still hanging around, as a ghost. That alone makes for an interesting
> bar.
>
> [ To avoid any "Now he's saying he sees ghosts" nonsense, I shall
state
> for the record that I never once saw Julia, even though this bar and
> hotel were among my most frequent hangouts in Santa Fe. I even went to
> the trouble of staying in her former room one night, because that was
> where the ghost made her most frequent appearances. Stayed up much of
> the night waiting. Didn't see a damned thing. The only
> out-of-the-ordinary thing I can report is that when I woke up the next
> morning my hat was filled with urine. But that could have happened at
> any of the hotels I stay in. :-) ]
>
> I loved this bar because it encapsulated for me one of the things I
> loved most about Santa Fe: its essential, bottom-line sense of
equality.
> At this bar -- and in Santa Fe itself -- it didn't really matter Who
You