Maharishi said something about these times back when he was doing his internet
radio address in the earlier part of this century. He said wars and conflict
and hardship and pain in the world will be more evident than ever, and to
maintain our focus on our evolution vs getting caught up in the horrific noise.
Not to shut it out either, but not to get lost in the ugliness of the mirage.

Technology gives us siddhis techniques, but it has occurred so gradually that
no one quite realizes the exponating effect all of this has on us, and the
innate responsibility we take for it - We even argue about the best near
instant stream of consciousness we prefer delivered to us, in huge color and
sound, so familiar has it all become. I sometimes have to call my cell phone,
at home, to find it, indispensable little widget that it is now. Everything is
so much closer, immediate, creating models of perception and communication and
transportation that seemed like magic a few generations ago.

A few months ago I began to notice two things. One, the amplified media frenzy
over wars and politics and the sour economy was really becoming a total
invasion and the message was clear: Everything Is Fucked Up! However the other
side of my personal coin was that despite the incredible challenges all around
me, my life is calm, reasonably happy, and almost orderly. So it appears the
communication tech we surround ourselves with is constantly feeding us a
picture of our world that is necessarily distorted, particularly the "news"
outlets. It is not a bad thing, though pervasive.