--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Stanley" <j_alexander_stanley@...>
wrote:

> In all seriousness, though, I find it very interesting how easy it is to find
> what appears to be an intelligent pattern in support of something, regardless
> of how valid the something actually is. Here's another one: for the past
> month, I've had my MacBook in the living room playing the Rain Raga 24 hours
> a day. Today, it is raining. Coincidence? I DON'T THINK SO!!!

The author of "The Believing Brain" postulates that this neurologically
hard-wired spontaneous tendency is due to the highly advantageous survival
value of interpreting any noise in the woods or high grass as a sentient being
with bad intentions.  If it turns out to be the wind, no harm but a little
stress.  If our minds miss a real predator by not making that imaginative leap,
game over.

So our brains generate patterns spontaneously, relentlessly.  Even where no
pattens exist, "I see a ducky in the clouds...no wait those are two breasts...
no four breasts, awesome, a threesome...no sorry, it is just a ducky."

I have also read that being an atheist or a so-called non-believer, doesn't
bypass this reaction.  It only gives someone a different conversation with
himself after the fact.