--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "seventhray1" <steve.sundur@...> wrote:

> or maybe forgot the charger.

I gather "she" is moi...

I'm baaaaack. Had to stay away longer than I'd planned
because NJ Transit took awhile to get its trains in order
after the storm.

My building survived with no damage whatsoever, flood or
wind, not even a power outage. A block and a half away, a
small tornado touched down and tore the roof off a house,
and there were downed trees, widespread power outages,
and some fairly serious street flooding elsewhere in town.
I'm burning incense in gratitude to the weather gods.

I do have a laptop, but it's too heavy for me to lug
comfortably, so I didn't bring it with me. Right before
I left I did get a Kindle, the most recent model with 3G
and Wi-fi and an "experimental" browser. I got it mainly
so I wouldn't have to bring books to read, and while that
was a great convenience, the browser turned out to be the
most useful feature, especially after the power went out
where I was staying. "Experimental" it may be, but it
worked just beautifully for Web sites that have a version
formatted for mobile devices, including news and service
sites (NY Times, NJ Transit, Google, e.g.). Sites without
a mobile version were harder to navigate, in some cases
impossible, including my ISP's Webmail.

So no email, but my sister (up in Vermont) and I were
able to keep in touch via direct messages on Twitter.
(She came through with no wind or flood damage either.)
I didn't try to access FFL; figured you all could get
along without me until I got back, and I didn't want to
run the Kindle's battery down (I did bring its charger,
but that's not much use when the power's out). A charged
battery lasts for weeks if all you're doing is reading
what's stored on the Kindle, but using wireless to
browse sucks up the charge pretty fast.

I gather nobody else on FFL was in the path of the storm,
unless their power's still out. Curtis is in D.C., but I
haven't heard or read that things were particularly bad
there--right, Curtis?

Very strange storm, very choosy about whom it spared and
whom it hit hard along its extraordinarily broad path.