On 09/03/2011 05:54 PM, authfriend wrote:
> I used the Kindle a *lot* over Saturday and Sunday, both
> browsing and just reading, and it still had several hours
> on it when the power came back on Monday. Then I recharged
> it, but I just wanted to be careful not to use up too much
> battery in case the power went out again.
>
> The thing is only 7" x 5" x 1/3" and weighs 8.7 oz. I don't
> imagine you could cram a much bigger battery into it.

Battery technology is something they are working on.  Not much was done
over the previous years but there is a need now not only for gadgets but
vehicles.  Your Kindle weighs about the same as my 7" Velocity Cruz
Android tablet.

>> School districts are starting to opt for iPads instead of
>> textbooks at $500-600 a pop.  Apparently school administrators
>> don't know that readers can be purchased for ~$100.
> Well, if you read the article you cited, the iPad does a
> great deal more than a reader.

And so do $120+ Android tablets.  And there are many more sources so
school districts don't have to be stuck with just one line.  Apple has
the administrators snowed.

> You can get the anthology (which has the longer 1953 version)
> used on Amazon (mass market paper) for 1 cent plus $3.99
> shipping. Also available as a free PDF download (with a two-
> week free trial subscription to the site) here:
>
> http://www.ebook3600.com/robert-a-heinlein-if-this-goes-on
>
> This may be the shorter original 1940 version.
>
> You can find just about any used book on the Web, but you
> have to know what you're looking for. Browsing in a shop
> full of actual old books looking for something of interest
> is rapidly becoming a thing of the past, although there'll
> probably be a few holdouts that are able to stay in
> business more or less as curiosities. Sad.

I decided to read it on Scribd on my 10" Acer Android tablet.  Funny
thing is it downloaded it.  It's a little dated in writing style but
kind of an interesting read after watching "Red State."