> One of the things that has been most dismaying for me the last
> week

No, it hasn't.

 is to watch the parade of 9/11 articles parading across
> Internet portals. From the point of view of an expat, this
> seems to me to be a lot like a lot of people trying to make a
> buck from a tragedy.

No, it's not. It's what a lot of people want.

> Think I'm exaggerating?

Well, that's a dumb question. Anybody who does any surfing
has seen that there's a lot of 10th anniversary stuff on
the Web.

> Cruise HuffPost or Salon or Slate or CNN and
> count the number of links leading to articles or videos or slide
> presentations playing off of the buildup to the 10th anniversary of
> 9/11/2001. 9/11 is being marketed as if it were a product.

No, it isn't. 9/11 was incredibly traumatic. Folks haven't
gotten over it yet. Anniversary observances are a way of
exorcising the sadness and anger they still harbor inside.
We had the same thing after the Kennedy assassination. It
took decades to get that out of our system; it's going to
take decades to do so with 9/11 as well.

> If I were American I'd be ashamed. Oh wait. I am.

No, you're not. Ashamed, that is. You're thrilled to have
found something else you can use as an excuse to dump on
your native country, one more thing to prove to yourself
that you were right to flee, one more thing you can use
to tell yourself how much cooler you are than the rest of
us Americans, one more thing you can tell us we should be
ashamed of.