> "All the communes under consideration have as their bond of union some form
> of religious belief.  It is asserted by some writers who theorize about
> communism that a commune can not exist long without some fanatical religious
> thought as its cementing force; while others assert with equal positiveness
> that it is possible to maintain a commune in which the members shall have
> diverse and diverging beliefs in religious matters.  It seems to me that both
> these theories are wrong; but that it is true that a commune to exist
> harmoniously, must be composed of persons who are of one mind upon some
> question which to them shall appear so important as to take the place of a
> religion, if it is not essentially religious; though it need not be
> fanatically held."   -Nordhoff (1875)

"Moreover- and this is another important consideration- I am satisfied that
during its accumulation the Commun(-al)ists enjoyed a greater amount of
comfort, and vastly greater security against want and demoralization, than were
attained by their neighbors or the surrounding population, with better schools
and opportunities of training for their children, and far less exposure for the
women, and the aged and infirm."  -Nordhoff (1875)