I've been on retreats with a few different groups. Most have similar dynamics
and similar personalities:

1.) Your ass-kissing sycophants
2.) Self-styled -new age guru wannabees
3.) Movement police types
4.) Spiritually greedy - take every course they can find
5.) Permanently unhappy complainers
6.) Fixers, who wanna fix everybody
7.) Needy sex players - who use courses to get laid
8.) The know-it-all doctrine parrots
9.) Let's not forget - genuine seekers...there are a few.

There are a couple of things I like about AOL -
1.) They let you own your own stuff - that is, they don't coddle you. 2.) They
really do know how to have a very fun time.

Haven't been for a few years, but I was very shocked on my first course when
after is was over everyone piled into a van to go see Amma - and the course
leaders thought that was cool. I genuinely like the people I've met there. I am
on hiatus from groups though.