Back in the late 60s, before I met Maharishi but after
I had segued from the world of psychedelics to the world
of substance-free realization, I got to see a live per-
formance by the Firesign Theatre. If their name strikes
no resonance with you, click "Next" now, because this
rap may have no relevance for you.

I had gotten to know them because they were L.A. radio
personalities and I -- albeit on a much smaller college
radio level -- was, too. At the time (1967), they were
considered pretty much the Gods Of Hip in the L.A. area.
No matter who you were or how hippie you were, you liked
the Firesign Theatre. I once witnessed the Grateful Dead
and Tim Leary delay the announced starting time of one
of their Acid Test gigs so they could finish listening
to the "Wizard Of Oz" show on KPFK, on which the FS did
their thing, live.

The Firesign Theatre guys were into old-time radio. They
*worshipped* the classic days of radio, and the live dramas
cast out onto the radio waters by its stars. They could
quote long passages from "The Shadow" and any number of
other classic radio shows. But they were also completely
out-there hippies, and so when it came to creating their
own live radio shows, they did the classic radio schtick,
but upgraded it to contain New Age (decades before such a
term was ever invented) dialogue. Fans (who are probably
the only ones still reading) know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, springboarding off of their radio fame, the FS
guys started giving "live radio" gigs around L.A. I man-
aged to catch only one of them. It was titled, "Everything
You Know Is Wrong."

It was brilliant. Four guys up on stage, surrounded only
by four stand-up microphones and a box full of sound props.
It was intentionally like being there in the studio and
watching the greats of classic radio create their shows
live. Only with top-notch philosophers behind the mikes.

I can't remember or relate to you any of the specific gags
and philosophy they spouted that night, but I do remember
the outcome. I walked out of the room completely *open*
to the possibility that everything I knew *was* possibly
wrong. I cannot say that about any "legitimate" spiritual
teacher I've ever seen do their thing live.

To this day, I am completely *comfortable* with the concept
that everything I know is wrong. This idea causes me not
the least bit of discomfort. In fact, I find some comfort
in the notion. Go figure.

Compare and contrast to many on this forum, who might be...
uh...somewhat challenged by the idea that everything they
know is wrong.

Different strokes for different folks.