From: John <jr_...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2011 9:19 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: The Mystery of Consciousness

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Denise Evans <dmevans365@...> wrote:

> O.K.  So then, how does one reconcile with the idea that there is this
> seeming hierarchy to consciousness.
>
> Back to my original post, Sam states that "Arranging atoms in a certain way
> appears to bring consciousness into being. And this fact is among the deepest
> mysteries given to us to contemplate."
>

> If this were true, This leads me to believe one of 2 things: 1) Once we die
> and our spirit or soul "returns" (for lack of a better word) to the larger
> consciousness...our atoms could be up for grabs again and perhaps we would
> become part of the mix that our world "reincarnates" as a rock;

It all depends in what your faith tells you.  Most believers would think that
your soul would return the Self or the larger consciousness.  If you're a
Hindu, your atoms after you die are like old clothes that are to be discarded.
You are no longer identified to be part of those atoms.  Those discarded atoms
could be part of a rock, a star, or a tree.

Or, 2) once having been arranged as a form with consciousness...the basic mix
doesn't change and we re-incarnate as human again or other being with the
ability for consciousness intact.  And, if consciousness is primarily
characterized as "sentience", then depending on whether we agree that animals
possess consciousness, we could potentially reincarnate as such.

If you're a Hindu, you can believe that you can reincarnate as a human being
which depends on how you lead your life here on earth.  If you lead a life
unworthy of a human being, you can reincarnate as an animal or even lower.

Or, 3) THIS IS IT.....and all the past life philosophy is in fact an illusory
projection of our brain of existing parallel realities.

You have to make your own choice in what to believe.  No one can make this
decision for you.

> In all cases...the idea that there is some "consequence" or "punishment" or
> "continued karma to work out past this life" associated with the way we lead
> our lives today leading to future condemnation of some sort is seemingly a
> completely human construct given the multiverse/consciousness theory.
>  Heresy, basically.

The points we were discussing have nothing to do with what faith to believe in.
 The ideas of multiverses and consciousness can fit within you belief system if
you choose to do so.  They do not necessarily refute the idea that there is a
heaven or hell.  These ideas, IMO, are made available for you to find your
faith so that it is in keeping with recent ideas in science.  Or, they can also
strengthen your faith depending on how you perceive these ideas.

Heresy is a loaded word.  It requires that you state what your criterion is for
heresy.  It appears that you're the only one who knows what the criteria is.