On 10/23/2011 03:09 PM, authfriend wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,
> "curtisdeltablues"<curtisdeltablues@...>  wrote:
>> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend"<jstein@>  wrote:
> <snip>
>>> On one small WPA I took up at the facility in Lancaster,
>>> Mass., one of the women kept vocalizing in what sounded
>>> like a foreign language. Didn't seem to be just nonsense
>>> syllables, it sounded very coherent, as if she was
>>> communicating with somebody.
>>>
>>> On my way home, at the train station my attention was
>>> suddenly caught by a conversation a group of Japanese
>>> people were having because it sounded *exactly* like
>>> the woman's vocalizations, same inflections, same
>>> pronunciation of the syllables. The woman in the flying
>>> hall was Caucasian and had told us at lunch that she
>>> didn't know any foreign languages. She was barely
>>> aware that she'd been making any noises.
>>>
>>> I don't know Japanese, so obviously I couldn't be sure
>>> she'd actually been speaking it, but the similarity
>>> to the sounds of the conversation of the folks at the
>>> train station was eerie.
>>>
> <snip>
>> No analysis of speaking in tongues has been show to be a real
>> language,
> Right, this didn't sound like any "speaking in tongues"
> I've ever heard (on TV shows about groups that indulge
> in it, I hasten to add; never heard it "live").
>
>> I would be very surprised to hear that flying gibberish was.
> It certainly astonished me when I heard the Japanese
> people talking at the train station.
>
>> I heard a lot of it and there are parts of the brain that
>> could generate a lot of seemingly coherent phrases that
>> were not language.  I heard some people doing it and it
>> would improve over time, become more consistent and
>> convincing.  It is a skill that some comedians can reproduce
>> very well sometimes.
> Sure, she could have been lying about not being aware
> of what she was doing when she'd actually been practicing
> it, or that she spoke no foreign languages. I got the
> impression she was quite sincere, though.
>
> I'm not insisting it was woo-woo, but you'd have to have
> heard it (and then heard some Japanese) to know why it
> was so striking.

A number of Sidha's that I used to fly with including myself had these
spontaneous Japanese sounding vocalizations.  For some reason to me it
sounded like a very old dialect.  We sounded like a bunch of Samurai. :-D

I wonder if anyone has ever recorded them and had a linguist determine
if they were just sounds or actually language.