--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Gimbel"

> > reference to
> > > setting up TM): "I could have made it a religion"...well,
> > somewhere
> > > along the way -- somewhere in between 1975 and today -- he DID
> > make
> > > it a religion...and I'm not referring to TM but to the TMO.
> > Anyone
> >
> > One of the most emotional speeches I heard while I was at MIU,
> back
> > around the time of the Court Case; where TM was being taught in
> > several New Jersey schools with great success, and some Christian
> > Religious group from California, protested that you can't teach
TM
> > in Public Schools, because it's a religion;
> > The ultimately got the Puja, translated and proclaimed it to be a
> > religion, in Court, in Philadelphia Superior Fed. Court; and it
> was
> > decided not to pursue the matter any further.
> > Anyway, Jerry Jarvis, made a very angry speech, saying how stupid
> > were the "powers that be" and more or less said that they had
> > condemned the school system to failure, in the United States,
> which
> > we can see has been fairly accurate.
> > At that time, I could sense the attitude of the movement shifting
> > toward the stance that it has now;
> > Instead of working with the established system, the movement
> regards
> > the established system, whether it be educational, spiritual,
> > political, or economic as basically retarded.
> > In this vain, the attitude is now, that the movement has
> structured
> > it's own reality, in a world that is quite insane, in order to
> stand
> > out.
> > Let's face it, in an enlightened world, who cares how strange the
> > people in the movement seem to be,
> > If they want to fly in the dome 24 hours a day,
> > I say: "Go for It!"
>

> I was also at MIU as a student at that time.  I remember looking at
> the curriculum book that the TMO had set up for the New Jersey High
> School students.  Very beautiful book with beautiful photographs of
> sunsets etc. to demonstrate the power of C.I. etc.
>
> The only problem was that you could replace the word "absolute"
> that the Movement used in the book with the word "God" and it would
> have meant exactly the same thing...so if the court didn't catch
> the TMO on the puja they would have caught them on the book which
> was set up in such a way that it DID violate the separation of
> church and state.

Yes and no.

The appeals court judge who wrote a long concurring
opinion, incidentally, discussed exactly this point.
It's very interesting reading; it's been posted to
alt.m.t a couple of times.  If anybody wants to read
it, let me know and I'll dig up the URLs.

But you could be a hard-core atheist, in the sense of
rejecting the forms of God proclaimed by the religions,
and still find the idea of the Absolute entirely
compatible with your beliefs.  You can teach
metaphysics, in other words, without actually
teaching religion.