But no one really knows how to measure enlightenment in the brain, or where
exactly to look in the nervous system yet.  They are getting closer to having
the equipment and understanding to do this.  Having a change in the nervous
system if one shifts in to enlightenment does not change anything  about the
value of enlightenment, or even its metaphysical status.  Mental states appear
to be due to the way the brain functions, or they cause changes in the way the
brain functions. If enlightenment has nothing to do with any sort of mental
state, I still would bet that something in the brain is different in the
enlightened.  Either way, it seems pretty likely that the nervous system
registers the difference due to enlightenment or causes it or allows it to
happen.

And having a bad back while being enlightened (as was the Buddha) would not
mean that the brain is not functioning differently due to the enlightenment.

I realize that all the folks who are enlightened say exactly what you have
said.  I just don't see why you can't be enlightened and have a change in brain
functioning as a result. But hey, I could be wrong.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "richardatrwilliamsdotus" <richard@...>