--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "richardatrwilliamsdotus" <richard@>
> wrote:
> >

> > curtisdeltablues:
> > > Your response really makes me think Richard.
> > >
> > > I am reading a book that explores this question
> > > from a slightly different angle.  It is called,
> > > The Mind and the Brain, neuroplasticity and the
> > > power of mental force. by Schwarty and Beggley.
> > >
> > Thanks for the info.
> >
> > Apparently, there's no difference between being
> > 'enlightened' and being un-enlightened, except for
> > one's POV. I first started thinking about this after
> > reading some of the old Zen koans or riddles. Dogen,
> > the founder of the Soto Zen sect in Japan, compiled
> > many koans in the Shobogenzo.
> >
> > According to Shunryu Suzuki, a Soto master, the main
> > practice of Zen is 'just sitting'. This just sitting
> > IS enlightenment. That's it!
>
> Very interesting.  I am not sure. I think the term enlightenment is one of
> those emotionally laden terms like "God" that actually covers many different
> states of mind.  If we just isolate the state of awareness itself from all
> the magical claims then I can see the case for it being a shift of attention.
>
> But it also occurs to me that intense practice of meditation does shift your
> attention so that it can stay that way pretty persistently. And it wouldn't
> surprise me if it has a physical shift of how the brain is communicating with
> itself.  I suspect that long meditation practice can adjust how the brain
> functions between its parts, and this has profound implications for our sense
> of self which is created by this interaction. (I know reductionism again, but
> there it is.)

Enlightenment is a loaded term. There is a shift of experience. Everything
remains the same. Nothing happens. Everything is like it was before, even
before one started on a path. Seeking stops. What in hell is going to happen
next? The seeking was an illusion. Except when we are seeking, we think there
is some truth to what we are anticipating. Anticipation has nothing to do with
being here and now. That is why we are not here and now. You cannot make a mood
of this. It will be a surprise, unanticipated. Learning to live with this
experience is a whole new world, because everything you thought it was going to
be was not what it is. Realisation is just another passing moment, replaced by
whatever is going on.