--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, zarzari_786 <no_reply@...> wrote:

> > I find the manner in which a number of people post here
> > (referring to the form, not the content) quite irritating,
> > but I rarely complain about it. Everyone's entitled to
> > their own "style."
> >
> > But Buck's "Burma-Shave" approach, in which he responds to
> > his own posts over and over, quoting everything he's said
> > each time and then adding a new line or two--often one post
> > right after another with no time in between--is really
> > beyond irritating.
> >
> > It's insulting because it's manipulative: he wants to
> > force us to read every word he writes, and we might not
> > do that if he put it all in a single post.
>
> How do you know what he *wants*? Maybe he does, but do you
> really know his intention? Maybe he just has a sort of
> creative stroke, so he posts one sentence after the other.

Then he ought to start a post and save it in Notepad or
whatever and add to it, not posting it until he finishes
his train of thought.

He's done this kind of thing before with Sanskrit phrases
one at a time when there was no question of his having a
"creative stroke," since he was copying the phrases in order
from a longer text. It looks like he's using the same
technique here on his own posts.

If he has something different in mind, he's more than
welcome to explain it.

> > But it wastes
> > our time and wastes space. I read the posts on the Web
> > site, but I should think those who get them by email
> > would find this flooding of their inboxes particularly
> > annoying.
>
> Maybe you are not as neutral on the topic, as you want it
> to look like. Compare this to your defense of Lawson at the
> time:

Lawson never did what I'm complaining about with Buck.
Nice try, no cigar.

And BTW, it isn't a matter of "neutrality." I agree with
a lot of what Buck says. I'd just like to be able to read
it in one go.

> Lawson was notorious for shooting out TM defending one-liners,
> not always witty, sometimes seemingly witty (if you like, no
> so for everybody), here is the thread:

I have nothing against one-liners per se, as long as they
contribute something, which Lawson's usually did. Sometimes
they were witty, sometimes they were succinct statements of
a specific point that would have taken me paragraphs to
express.

> Now the group has a posting limit, to handle cases like this.

Different cases.

> Why not leave at that?

Because, as I said, it's annoying to have to click on post
after post after post and scroll down to read one sentence
in each post of what was really one longer post.