<snip>
Given the public impact Hitchens had, it may be
justified to call attention to his flaws while folks
are still pondering that impact. YMMV.

Yep - when someone passes who was so controversial, I think it's a good thing
to acknowledge the controversy.  It's actually a kind of respect I think, in
the larger sense - too look more at the whole of the person.  I remember seeing
a "docu" on Nixon that, in my opinion, rewrote history in that it extolled his
"greatness" and all of his "achievements" and mostly ignored his "dark side",
so to speak.  Illness/death levels the playing field in that no one is exempt.