TM transformed me. Maharishi created an experience in me that told me he was
the embodiment of the highest truth. The romance I refer to is the romance that
Saint Francis of Assisi (not comparing me to him, of course) had for Christ.
Maharishi appeared to make me enlightened. Enlightenment was everything I could
have imagined it to be from Maharishi's description in The Science of Being and
Art of Living, in all his videos, is his lectures to us live. I acted for ten
years inside an entirely different context than I had up until the very moment
before I 'slipped into Unity'. At some point in the ten years I was introduced
through two friends—while I was in New York giving a seminar—to the Eucharist
(I was sick at the time). Taking into my body the Host produced a remarkable
experience, and this seemed even more subtle than TM. I subsequently
surrendered myself to the Roman Catholic Church.

The doctrines of Catholicism were in conflict with my enlightenment. I read
Thomas Aquinas: either he was right or Maharishi was right. Aquinas seemed to
have a more profound grasp of reality than did Maharishi, and I began to
realize: Robin, it's either Aquinas (the Catholic truth) or it's your
enlightenment, TM, and Maharishi. Under the inspiration of a priest I finally
made my decision: my enlightenment, even though an objectively different state
of consciousness with real life consequences for one's free will and actions,
must be ultimately false to reality. Once I judged this to be true, I
immediately became aware of the evidence—with the help of my best friend—of
problems within me which had, as it were, 'set me up' for getting enlightened.
I have concentrated on confronting myself these past 24 years—and my
enlightenment has gone away.

Now my experience of Maharishi was very profound. In my heart I felt something
I had never felt before or since: Maharishi seemed to hold within himself the
love and intelligence behind all o creation. He radiated the bliss and truth of
reality. When I compare this experience—and this Master Disciple relationship
extended into my enlightenment—to the experience of loving another human being,
the sense of romance in the classic sense seemed much greater to me.

Now the factors which led to my enlightenment are complex, but besides my own
weakness and naiveties and blind spots, there is the matter of angelic
intelligences—as I perceived them—which are at the mechanical basis, or so I
believe based upon experimental knowledge, of how one becomes enlightened.
These intelligences were very active once I began TM, especially when I
attended long rounding courses in Europe. Eventually through my devotion to my
Master and my practising his techniques, I went into Unity Consciousness (all
this, as Judy says, is contained in a number of books that I wrote after
becoming enlightened). What those books don't say—they were all completed
before 1982—is that Catholicism (1986) destroyed my enlightenment; or should I
say my recognition of the truths of Catholicism made my enlightenment something
that simply could not have happened under the beneficent influence of the
sacraments, the Virgin Mary, and conceiving of God as the Holy Trinity.

Now I eventually realized that Catholicism itself was not what it used to be.
And I came to see the Catholic Church as lacking the supernatural efficacy of
its claims. It once (before the Second World War) did represent reality; but it
no longer did. And I had to abandon that spiritual context as well.

 Now comes on my personal relationship to Maharishi. As long as Maharishi
behaved as the perfect human being, there was nothing I could do but go with my
experience, which was one of profound devotion and love and surrender. Once he
began to make missteps, once he began to reveal some imperfections, my concept
of him began to crumble. Now you must understand that my appreciation for
Maharishi as my Master extended even into my Catholicism; but at a certain
point after reading Aquinas and rejecting my enlightenment, I had to reject him
too, as well as TM. Once I entered into this process Maharishi began to show
his feet of clay, until mid-way through 1987 I realized that Maharishi himself,
like I was, was deceived.

Now Zarzari, when I contemplate the time between around 1969 through 1986—and
most intensely while being around Maharishi at my TTC, ATR, and my Six Month
Course—I remember the sensation in my body, the feeling in my heart, the
adoration in my soul, and the expansion of my mind, and I realize that I
enjoyed the highest romance anyone could ever have. Just because I have
rejected Maharishi, does not mean that I must jettison those memories of what
it was like to be around him, and what he projected of the majesty of his
consciousness.To be around Maharishi say between 1972 and 1976 was to be in the
presence of a spectacularly beautiful being, and that being made me—not in a
sensual or erotic sense—feel as if there could be no greater love. I believe
Maharishi's feelings for his own Master were the same, and if he understood the
term Romance in its fullest sense, he would concur that the greatest romance of
his life was his relationship to Guru Dev.

Where the deceitfulness comes in is these cosmic intelligences which Maharishi
openly discusses and describes as being instrumental in the spiritual progress
of someone doing Transcendental Meditation. For Aquinas and the Catholic Church
to be right [before Vatican II] must mean that these intelligences, however
much bliss and power and mastery they effect in one, ultimately are not working
for the well-being of the individual. They are deceitful; ergo, Maharishi is
deceitful—although eventually I came to see him even in his own individual life
as a divided and conflicted person—or so it seemed when he began to lose some
of his beauty and integrity—his consciousness remained infinite I believe right
to the end of his life.

Thus you have the Romance and the Deceit. Since you are not interested in
pursuing this matter (see the end of your post) with me, I will leave it at
this. I loved Maharishi Mahesh Yogi more than I have ever loved any human
being—I am sure there are hundreds, if not thousands of us former TM initiators
who felt similarly. I also believe that Maharishi, to be what he was—at the
height of his influence and power—was even a more perfect victim of these same
cosmic intelligences than I was. Eventually, it would seem, these intelligences
began to cause Maharishi to lose the colossal grace that had supported him
since he came out of India. And then the disillusionment set in.

This plus the fact that TM did not, in the long-term, produce the effect that
had the nature of an intrinsic promise in that first experience of
transcending. Bevan Morris, Tony Nader, and John Hagelin should be, by my
reckoning based upon what happened to me between 1969 and 1976 (under the
brilliant influence of Maharishi), the most beautiful human beings on the
earth. They are not. This tends to suggest that their own sense of the
spiritual romance with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi is fraught with something that
arguably takes the form of deceit.

That said, I believe that no human beings since Christ have had the quality of
experience we initiators had in the physical presence of Maharishi in the early
and mid-seventies. If any one of us were suddenly transported back in time and
forced to inhabit our own personal consciousness at that time, we would not
even question the notion that this was the best experience anyone has had since
Christ. Probably better.