This is from the New York Times' weekly "Metropolitan Diary"
feature, which publishes New York stories sent in by readers:

Dear Diary:

A few days before Christmas a year ago, I was on the F train riding uptown. At
West Fourth Street, a young man boarded with a boombox. He explained, loudly
and enthusiastically, "I'm trying to stay out of trouble tonight, so I'm
offering you a dance, like we do it in the Bronx."

Only a few of us looked up. Then he plugged his iPhone into the boombox and
proceeded to dance his heart out. This included a few back flips, trapeze moves
with the handrails, and body spins on the ground with just one hand. By this
time all eyes were glued on him. A young boy next to me yelled out in sheer
delight: "Wow — that's amazing!" We all shared his sentiment.

Many passengers gave generously when he walked by with his donation container
afterward.

Just then, at the other end of the car, a homeless-looking man boarded with a
plea for help. He was disheveled and without any dance routine or music act to
offer. All he had was a wish for kindness and an outstretched hat — one that
remained empty among this group of recent donors.

That was until, just before the doors were to open at the next stop, the dancer
went right up to the homeless-looking man, spilled out all of his earnings into
the outstretched hat and said, "Merry Christmas, man."

--Christina Daigneault