I understand your friend's position, certainly, but the idea that Carroll
promotes (and that I endorse) is for the money to be given without judgment or
preconditions; given purely and freely as a gift.

No matter who we are, there may be some other(s) who can and will find fault.
Spending money on intoxicants, whether hard-earned or gratuitously received,
may be easy to fault, but that's not the thrust behind Carroll's holiday
gifting. It's more a recognition that if you have enough to give, why not just
gift it -- acknowledge that the individual who's receiving it has the ability
to do with it what they will. The recognition of their own (apparent) personal
freedom of choice is part of the gift.

Happy Holidays, Rick, to both you and Irene.

***